I am trying to force a knoppix remaster to adopt specific values for XF86Config.
I have installed the remaster to hard drive and I'm trying to get the old monitor working.
I want it too, no matter what monitor I use to default to 60Hz 1024 x 768 the system uses a via driver I have got it to start load the via driver but it will only display at 640 x480 on older monitors . On new or near new monitor no problems, this is to cater for old monitor.
I have modified the mkxf68config Knoppix Script and also the XF86config-4.in file and the XF86Config.in but it still defaults to what ever monitor resolution that knoppix finds during its prob.
I have add the following line to XF86Config-4.in and it gets loaded into XF86Config-4
Section "Monitor0'
HorizSync 60 -90
Vertrefreash 30 -50
EndSection
the above gets entered into XF86Config-4
The Mode Line information that is generated by mkxf86config has been commented out but it still appears in the XF86Config-4 file.
If I manually modify the XF86Config-4 and comment out the input from mkxf86config and restart kde (three finger salute) ie ctrl+alt+backspace . when kde restarts the desktop is set to 1024x768.... but if i totally reboot the system everything reverts to what ever knoppix probe thinks the monitor is capable of.
as a hack fix I tried makeing a script that copies a backup of the XF86Config-4 file that makes monitor work at 1024x768, last thing before starting KDM but the script over writes the XF86Config-4 file but it still defaults to 640x480. If I three finger salute restarting KDM when KDE restarts I have my 1024x768.
KDM seems to always be using the probe value not the XF86Config-4 file.
any suggestions
thanks michael
![]()

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00