Or at least how I can make a boot floppy myself, please.
Does anyone know where I can download a boot image for a floppy that has the splash screen w/ options input (eg. 'knoppix nodma myconfig=scan')? My system can't boot from cdrom (BIOS is BROKE), so i was hoping i could find a boot floppy so I can just type 'knoppix fromhd=/dev/scd0' or summat like dat.
I know how to use rawrite.exe, so that won't be a problem for me. (i have a bat file dat uses it, so I can modify it)
Thanks!
Or at least how I can make a boot floppy myself, please.
Wow, I completely expected a copy of a boot image that you could make with rawrite to be there. Went lookiing for it myself and sure don't see one.Originally Posted by clarjon1
I have the same issue with one older desktop. Although I finally did get a BIOS upgrade, the BIOS will still not boot many CD's including Knoppix (although it will boot some CDs!). This hasn't been a problem, because I installed a great boot manager on the hard drive, XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader). It can manage multiple OS booting, as well as let you boot from any CD drive or any floppy drive (not just the first of either), even if your BIOS does not support CD booting. You might want to consider installing it. Also includes a great partition manager. Available here: http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm
You could also grab Smart Boot Manager, create a boot floppy, boot from it, and select your computer's CD-ROM drive from the list. Smart Boot Manager will let you boot your computer from the CD whether your BIOS supports it or not.

Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010
$64.95
Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00
Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord
$49.99
Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$180.00
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Vintage Apple AppleDesign Powered Speakers M6082 Single Beige 1993 Mac Audio
$24.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00
Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested
$210.00
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99