The script /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons is what creates them. Either remove the script or edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and remove the line that calls that script.
I want to remove the HD, floppy and CD icons from the desktop of a remaster. I got rid of the INDEX page loading but I am not finding how to get rid of the icon loading. Suggestions?
Richard-
PS...thanks for the help so far...I REALLY AM getting this down....(I think?).
The script /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons is what creates them. Either remove the script or edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and remove the line that calls that script.
Thanks...I'm doing it now....Richard-
OK...finished...REMed out all the MKDESKTOPICONS in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and work perfectly...Oh, I did have to remove the Icons that were left over on the desktop but once gone they did not reappear....Thanks again!
Richard-
REM? lolOriginally Posted by richardljohnson
Longtime DOS user?
In Linux we say 'comment'Glad you got it working.
OK..is it dir or ls...or mem or free...I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!
Yes, sorry, some old habbits die hard....BUT I'M TRYING!!!!!!
Richard-
I'm trying to disable the mkdesktophdicons script too, running a hd-installed knoppix 3.6 version. however I cannot find this 45xsession file, and in none of the files in the Xsession.d directory the mkdesktophdicons script is being called. Any suggestions?Originally Posted by mzilikazi
I 'lessed' myself through a bunch of scripts (hmm.. probably 'lessed' is not proper linux-speak - correct me when I'm wrong) and found that the script is being called in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig script. Is it 'save' and 'clean' to comment it out there?
45xsession is deleted during the installation processOriginally Posted by dertien
I 'lessed' myself through a bunch of scripts (hmm.. probably 'lessed' is not proper linux-speak - correct me when I'm wrong) and found that the script is being called in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig script. Is it 'save' and 'clean' to comment it out there?is the script. Is it safe to remove? Well I don't use it.Code:/usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons![]()
Here is a transcript from some note I made....
To remove ICONS from desktop
a.{root@tty1} editor /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
b.rem (#) out mkdesktopicons where ever it is in this file (I foundstarting around line 374-576 this can also be edited in the GUI of ROOT or SYSTEM. NOTE: /usr/bin/mkdesktopicons is the code that does this. It may also be possible to remove this but I found it easier to just REM out the call for this.
c.REMEMBER: You must also login as user and physically remove the icons which have already been created. Then log out then log back in to check to make sure icons do not show back up.
ALSO...
Go into /usr/bin/mkdesktopicons and change it to oldmkdesktopicons
Remove the floppy desk icons from the /etc/skelDesktop
Hope this helps...
Richard-

π Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12Γ Gigabit PoE+ β’ 2Γ 10G SFP+ Compact Switch β‘
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$345.97
New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed
$466.65
New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty
$895.00
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch
$164.98
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99
Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97
Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T
$249.99