Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Dual boot Knoppix and WindowsXP on 2 HDs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    Dual boot Knoppix and WindowsXP on 2 HDs

    Somebody help me here. I got hooked up in Lnux 3 weeks back and downloaded myself a knoppix 2.4 live cd. My computer can run the live cd but i seem to have difficulties with HDinstall. I have 2 HDs, the master is 30GB(installed WindowsXP) and the slave is 10GB.

    Ive managed to install Knoppix to the second HD which is partitioned as hdb1 as root and hdb2(512MB) as the linux-swap partiotion. My LILO is installed in the root partition.

    Now comes the problem... I cant boot with linux!! Either booting straight from hdb1 or dual booting. With the dual boot i tried copying the linux boot loader(linux.ipl) to drive c:\ and editing the boot.ini file to dual boot. I can get to the option to choose the OS but when i choose Linux i get a blank screen. I've tried but i seem to be missing something

    To add something, during installing i got the message "input/output error" at the end of each command line.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    16
    Here's what I did. I installed Win2k3 on HDD1 set as master. Then I removed HDD1 and plugged in HDD2 as master, on which I installed Knoppix 3.7. Then I plugged in HDD1 as primary master and HDD2 as primary slave. When I wanna boot WinXP it boots normally, but when I wanna use Knoppix I press F9 at PC boot and get a menu: BOOT from Floppy, HDD1, HDD2 or CD-ROM. Then I select HDD2 and Knoppix boots up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    The easiest solution is to install a Linux boot loader to MBR. It is possible however to use ntldr. Here are a few posts on how to do so:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...608&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...highlight=boot

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    Dual boot windowsXP and Knoppix on 2 HDs

    There is a hick up ive got (not hicups!! Havent had beer for a while). The bbot floppy i create cant boot. On checking it i only find a locked folder which i cant access.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well it seems to be rather difficult to make a floppy from Knoppix. I don't know why. Anyway..... You can reinstall lilo with the cd. Simply boot the knoppix cd.
    Code:
    su
    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
    chroot /mnt/hda2
    lilo -v
    CTRL+D
    That will reinstall lilo which should also pick up your windows install.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    On booting i get grub> cursor... What do i do?

    It seems dual booting cant work for me presently so i dicided i will do remove HD1 (the master) and Make HD2 the master and install Knoppix there. I managed to install and on booting i get the cursor
    grub>
    The installation process refered only to a LILO, or maybe a LILO and GRUB are the same?
    I tryed to put in commands at the cursor but couldnt get anywhere.

    Mind you i am stll wet behind the ears when it comes to Linux.[/b]

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: On booting i get grub> cursor... What do i do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepaletswet
    ....The installation process refered only to a LILO, or maybe a LILO and GRUB are the same?.....
    Lilo and Grub are different. They are both boot loaders, but they are different programs. Lilo takes a little more work, some steps you have to do for it are taken care of automatically by Grub.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    How do i run knoppix at the grub> cursor?

    Thanks for the reply Kuhlman, but the main question here is now:
    When i boot from the HD installed Knoppix (even from the boot disk) i get the cursor similar to this;
    grub>

    I have tried to put in commands but cant get anywhere. Where am i going wrong? How can i run the OS window?

Similar Threads

  1. Dual Boot with XP Pro and Knoppix 3.9
    By Phantom69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. Unable to boot to WindowsXP after running Knoppix Live CD!
    By dwflo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 11:12 PM
  4. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
  5. WindowsXP now won't boot
    By ScottB in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00