I need help with files that aren't in the home directory using the file manager.
I can't add or edit any files that are not in the home directory such as files in /etc/apache! Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.
I need help with files that aren't in the home directory using the file manager.
I can't add or edit any files that are not in the home directory such as files in /etc/apache! Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.
What filemanager? Konqueror? Open a shell and do: kdesu konqueror
You must be root to edit anything that doesn't belong to user.Originally Posted by WastedFX
Well I know how root works. I should have said I already tryed what Markus told me to do. I am running it off the cd and it keeps saying I either don't have the privillages or not enough free memory I have 512 megs of ram.
Have you set a root password?
Also how much of the memory is free/recognised? Sometimes knoppix doesn't seem to recognise all RAM.
I set a root password via the root term with the passwd command. It seems to use 510 megs of the ram. so I don't see a problem with that.
Hmm, one last try. Is the partition mounted writable and the directory has write permissions?
Root is just the administrator level user.Originally Posted by WastedFX
Exactly what command did you use? It should have been 'sudo passwd'?Originally Posted by WastedFX
You could also try
su (to become the root user)
konqueror (use konqueror if you are just going to copy/move files)
OR
kwrite (use kwrite to edit text files)
You will not be able to edit text files using konqueror as root because konqueror must open kwrite to do the edit & konqueror-as-root is not able to open kwrite-as-root. It cannot pass on the root level privilagles to the second program.
Another way: if this is a file you are going to repeatedly edit, copy it to /home so you can edit as user.

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco Nexus N9K-C93180YC-FX3 V05 48-Port SFP28 6-Port QSFP28 Network Switch
$3999.99
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00
Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89