Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help with files that aren't in the home directory using...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Help with files that aren't in the home directory using...

    I need help with files that aren't in the home directory using the file manager.
    I can't add or edit any files that are not in the home directory such as files in /etc/apache! Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    What filemanager? Konqueror? Open a shell and do: kdesu konqueror

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Help with files that aren't in the home directory using.

    Quote Originally Posted by WastedFX
    I need help with files that aren't in the home directory using the file manager.
    I can't add or edit any files that are not in the home directory such as files in /etc/apache! Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.
    You must be root to edit anything that doesn't belong to user.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Well I know how root works. I should have said I already tryed what Markus told me to do. I am running it off the cd and it keeps saying I either don't have the privillages or not enough free memory I have 512 megs of ram.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you set a root password?
    Also how much of the memory is free/recognised? Sometimes knoppix doesn't seem to recognise all RAM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    I set a root password via the root term with the passwd command. It seems to use 510 megs of the ram. so I don't see a problem with that.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, one last try. Is the partition mounted writable and the directory has write permissions?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by WastedFX
    Well I know how root works.
    Root is just the administrator level user.

    Quote Originally Posted by WastedFX
    I set a root password via the root term with the passwd command. It seems to use 510 megs of the ram. so I don't see a problem with that.
    Exactly what command did you use? It should have been 'sudo passwd'?
    You could also try
    su (to become the root user)
    konqueror (use konqueror if you are just going to copy/move files)
    OR
    kwrite (use kwrite to edit text files)

    You will not be able to edit text files using konqueror as root because konqueror must open kwrite to do the edit & konqueror-as-root is not able to open kwrite-as-root. It cannot pass on the root level privilagles to the second program.
    Another way: if this is a file you are going to repeatedly edit, copy it to /home so you can edit as user.

Similar Threads

  1. home - directory on hdd
    By DieselDriver in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:20 AM
  2. says home directory full but its not
    By 31d1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Creating a directory in 'home'
    By benedict1000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:45 PM
  5. Accessing files in HOME directory?
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55