Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Some general questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9

    Some general questions

    How do I install programs? I tried the *chmod +x* command, and that worked on the aMSN .bin file I downloaded, but then I needed to get Firefox and it was a tarball. I tried .rpm's too with no luck (tried to use alien for it).

    How do I install themes, like those from kde-look.org? How do I install Karamba, more importantly?

    How do I change the screen resolution, and change the size of icons and things? One annoying thing that happens is when I minimize a window, and I can't find it ever again.

    Thanks for support.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    To pick one thing (probably the most important thing) out of your list: With Debian, you don't need to install Firefox (or other programs for which Debian packages exist) from tarballs or RPMs, or download other binary installers. Use apt-get instead. Please read the "sticky" topic in the "Hdd Install" section of this forum named "Apt-get / dpkg tutorial".

    Once your "/etc/apt/sources.list" is configured correctly, you go to a console, get root, and type

    apt-get update && apt-get install mozilla-firefox

    in order to install Firefox.

    In order to see what installation candidates for Firefox are available to you, type

    dpkg -l 'mozilla-firefox*'

    or if you don't know the exact name of what you're looking for, go to the Debian packages search page and enter a search string and choose the "Unstable" distro.

    As you might guess from the above, you can install Karamba with the command

    apt-get install karamba

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, Eco.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    For the theme question.

    For a very detailed tutorial for themes and such for KDE3.2 and up, go to: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15551

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Some general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrincle
    How do I install programs?
    See this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15298 for an overview of installing programs in Debian.

Similar Threads

  1. A few general questions, lets discuss.
    By knewbix in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 05:00 AM
  2. New to Knoppix some general questions
    By Quip Frok in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
  3. general knoppix questions, new user
    By ishaim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
  4. Some general questions
    By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. HDD Install great, Few general questions please?
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2 picture

Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2

$30.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory picture

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory

$199.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF picture

Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF

$55.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99