SCSI tape devices hooked to an adapter supported by the linux kernel certainly can be used. Look for the /dev/stN device nodes. Does the software you mention have a native linux version?
Hi,
I'm a newbie to Knoppix, in fact, I'm a newbie to Linux. I heard a lot of it and this morning I've "cooking" my first Knoppix CD.
I did this, because I'm a little disappointed by the sh* of M$ (understatement of the year).Previous I've tried to use Win-PE, but this is very primitive.....
![]()
What I want is a bootable-cd with an (mini) OS and it has to be able to do the following:
- Network support
- Access to tapedevice
- Read Backup Exec formats (Veritas)
Can this be accomplihed by using Knoppix? I'm afraid it's not possible because I think tape-devices can not be accessed by Knoppix. Or am i missing something here.![]()
Hope anyone knows
Grx.
Jansch
SCSI tape devices hooked to an adapter supported by the linux kernel certainly can be used. Look for the /dev/stN device nodes. Does the software you mention have a native linux version?
hmmm,
i've been reading the fm.
it seems that this software only can run on a windowx box, but it can backup and restore linux/unix boxes.
Nevertheless,
the software is by Veritas, the makers of NTbackup of miccyshit. Is there any Linux software that can read NTBackup backups?
Originally Posted by Jansch
![]()
Hello Jansch,
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Backup Exec is only available for the Windows and Netware platform. NTBackup is a simple implementation from Veritas bundled with Windows Server/Professional. The formats should be compatible, maybe there are some compression issues IIRC.
A different product from Vertas is the (very expensive) NetBackup with support also for the Linux platform.
Both products have advanced options like open file backup, Mail- and DB-agents and desaster recovery (e.g. create a bootable CD-ROM with network and tape support to restore the backup-server himself or a server over the net). They all cost.
What has this to do with Knoppix? If you have a broken Windows maschine I suggest to fix it an restore data with the same program used for backup (if repair not possible, reinstall).

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99