Have you tried just deleting/renaming ~.Xauthority and restarting X.
I am attempting to use the knx-installer on a Kanotix remaster. Not only that but I've also nuked all of KDE. Instead I wish to use GDM. The installation actually works fine and from run level 3 user can issue startxfce4 and away it goes and works like a dream. If however one attempts to use ANY login manager including kdm, gdm or xdm I get the dreaded Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key in .xsession-errors. I don't *think* it's an installer issue but rather .Xauthority but then again if I were sure I would fix it right?Anyway...I don't know too much about how the xserver permissions work. Thanks for any ideas.
Have you tried just deleting/renaming ~.Xauthority and restarting X.

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD
$87.96