Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to enable write to HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    2

    Unable to enable write to HDD

    I am cannot enable my hard drives to write. After mounting a drive, I right click on the drive and choose actions > change read/write mode. Prompt asks "Do you really want to change partition /dev/sda1 to be writable? I select yes, but it is still in read only. I have set root password and knoppix password. I have switched to su. Still cannot write to HDD.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If it's ntfs formatted you have to look into captive. If fat or some linux type try:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    If it asks to specify filesystem add: -t vfat or whatever it is.
    man mount has all mounting options listed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    2
    I should have added a more detail. I have 2 drives. /dev/hda is configured as hda1 (OS) 8Gb, hda2 (home) 8Gb, hda3 (swap) 2.65 Gb. /dev/sda is sda1 (data) 1Tb. All are formatted ext3 (except hda3). I think the problem is that I have been using gui's to long and believe everything I read. I was able to switch to SU then manually mount and rw.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to write to /mnt/hda1
    By mikeadams in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
  2. Unable to write to flash drive
    By kpfuser in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
  3. Unable to write to USB Drive
    By dcohen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 11:15 PM
  4. How to get enable read/write access (Hd Based)
    By buxus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM
  5. unable to write on windows box!!
    By Spacecube in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS

$59.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Pro Keyboard USB Mac M7803 **Used in box picture

Vintage Apple Pro Keyboard USB Mac M7803 **Used in box

$75.00



Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage picture

Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage

$39.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49