Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to enable write to HDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    2

    Unable to enable write to HDD

    I am cannot enable my hard drives to write. After mounting a drive, I right click on the drive and choose actions > change read/write mode. Prompt asks "Do you really want to change partition /dev/sda1 to be writable? I select yes, but it is still in read only. I have set root password and knoppix password. I have switched to su. Still cannot write to HDD.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If it's ntfs formatted you have to look into captive. If fat or some linux type try:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    If it asks to specify filesystem add: -t vfat or whatever it is.
    man mount has all mounting options listed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    2
    I should have added a more detail. I have 2 drives. /dev/hda is configured as hda1 (OS) 8Gb, hda2 (home) 8Gb, hda3 (swap) 2.65 Gb. /dev/sda is sda1 (data) 1Tb. All are formatted ext3 (except hda3). I think the problem is that I have been using gui's to long and believe everything I read. I was able to switch to SU then manually mount and rw.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to write to /mnt/hda1
    By mikeadams in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
  2. Unable to write to flash drive
    By kpfuser in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
  3. Unable to write to USB Drive
    By dcohen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 11:15 PM
  4. How to get enable read/write access (Hd Based)
    By buxus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM
  5. unable to write on windows box!!
    By Spacecube in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung LS32A700NWNXZA 4K UHD LED Monitor 32

Samsung LS32A700NWNXZA 4K UHD LED Monitor 32" A700 Series with HDR, Black

$200.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-4800B SODIMM MEMORY 1Rx8 M425R2GA3BB0-CQKOL picture

Samsung 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-4800B SODIMM MEMORY 1Rx8 M425R2GA3BB0-CQKOL

$319.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 FE 5G SM-X528U Tablet, 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 FE 5G SM-X528U Tablet, 10.9" WUXGA+, Samsung Exynos 1580

$300.00



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99