Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Intalling Software... How?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78

    Intalling Software... How?

    I'm still a Linux newbie in more ways then one which is one of the reasons Knoppix appeals to me (also the tremendous amount of pre-installed software) . I've got a HD install of 3.7 on my notebook and thanks to alot of people on this forum my PCMCIA WiFi card and printer are working.

    My biggest problem is installing software... I've seen alot of things about "apt-get" but am not sure if this would help, I've no problem downloading softare and using arc to unzip it but after that I'm lost. Does anyone know of a tutorial or something of that sort that can help me out with this? I guess one of the bigger differnce from Windows to Linux is you can't just "double-click" and things move into action. Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I moved this snce it seems to better fit under the HDD install forum.

    Install application has some issues. Read through this forum for some of them.

    You likely will be very interested in the work of probono, see this thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78
    Thanks, I wasn't quite sure where it would fit... my mistake.

    And thanks for the link also!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    To use apt-get first run (as root)
    apt-get update
    then apt-get install package

    Take a look at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages for the thousands of Debian packages

Similar Threads

  1. software
    By Xpiral in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:38 PM
  2. software
    By sandig in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
  3. SOFTWARE
    By Doc in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 06:43 AM
  4. Software
    By Zuggy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 03:09 PM
  5. Intalling package: Read-only file system???
    By CelticSoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus picture

Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus

$59.99