Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Need to recover data, please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Need to recover data, please help

    I Win XP install corrupted and I loaded knoppix and copies some personal files from the c: ntfs partition to d: fat 32 partition. But after I reinstalled XP I don't see any files listed in my d: drive. The space is taken up but I just don't see any of the files/directories I copied over.

    I'm using XP sp2 and the knoppix version I used was 3.55 or 3.52. Please help and tell me how to recover this data. I am a complete newbie to Linux but has a fair degree of knowledge with Windows.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I have no idea why you can't see the files on your second drive, although I would love to hear why when you resolve it. Did you confirm that the files were their in Knoppix? Did you confirm it after the XP reinstall?

    I had a bunch of other suggestions to make, but since you already reinstalled, the files are pretty much gone from C. If you can't see them on D from Knoppix then I can't be of much help. If it turns out that you can see then on D then I can give you lots of ideas of how to get those files back (do not write them to the ntfs partition). One technique to recover files when you have a single CD writer on a system is here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=14781&start=0 , you could also transfer them to another system by e-mail, ftp, or the website yousendit.com (they will let you send and store for 7 days files up to 1 gig in size).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    this may not be useful, but did you make sure to unmount the d: before you rebooted. i swear iread somewhere that not unmounting once data is written could cause problems. i dont know but it might help you look...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes indeed, syncing the disk and unmounting it is recomended.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    yes indeed, syncing the disk and unmounting it is recomended.
    Doesn't the normal shut down procedure unmount the drive (assuming you do indeed shut down and not just pull the plug)? I've written to my D partition from Knoppix, gone back into XP, and all was still well, never did an explicit unmount (because I expected the shut down to do this).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Doesn't the normal shut down procedure unmount the drive (assuming you do indeed shut down and not just pull the plug)? I've written to my D partition from Knoppix, gone back into XP, and all was still well, never did an explicit unmount (because I expected the shut down to do this).
    Yeah, I did that all the time too. I dunno what happened either, but I don't think it's a matter of not unmounting...as you say, it will unmount the drives as part of shutdown.

    Are the files not seen by knoppix either? I presume not, but I'm just curious.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have had the shutdown of knoppix hang or crash several times. now i do the important discs myself

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for all your input guys.

    For starters I didn't unmount before I shut down knoppix. I just log off.

    I could access the directories and files I copied with Knoppix. I also tried and created a directory on the Fat32 partition using Knoppix. But I couldn't access any of the files from windows xp sp2. I could see the name of the directory I created in Knoppix from Windows, but I couldn't see the name of the directories that I copied from the NTFS partition.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    The shutdown procedure unmounts the drives itself.

    Also syncing before unmounting is not needed as linux with write the data before it unmounts.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    any suggestions harry kuhman?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix to recover data
    By robmillard in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
  2. How to Recover Data?
    By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
  3. Trying to recover data, need help please
    By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. how can i recover data??
    By dreday202 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
  5. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00