Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need to recover data, please help

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Hey, why me? I've already given the thoughts I had.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    ......, but since you already reinstalled, the files are pretty much gone from C. If you can't see them on D from Knoppix then I can't be of much help. If it turns out that you can see then on D then I can give you lots of ideas of how to get those files back (do not write them to the ntfs partition). One technique to recover files when you have a single CD writer on a system is here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=14781&start=0 , you could also transfer them to another system by e-mail, ftp, or the website yousendit.com (they will let you send and store for 7 days files up to 1 gig in size).

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    I wish I could use the email/net storage idea. But I have a socket 939 mobo w/ onboard gigalan from nvidia which knoppix doesn' t seem to recognize. Being a newbie I don't know how to setup network devices at all.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmagic
    I wish I could use the email/net storage idea. But I have a socket 939 mobo w/ onboard gigalan from nvidia which knoppix doesn' t seem to recognize. Being a newbie I don't know how to setup network devices at all.
    I don't know how to resolve that either. Myself, I would stick another NIC in. I always keep some handy and they are cheap - heck, they were giving them away free today at CompUSA.

    Alternately, writing to CD's is sounding like a good idea, if the files are still there.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    the 2.6 kernel seems to have more luck with newer NICs.

    At boot type

    knoppix26 other boot options if you use them



    As for the files, Mabye for some reason they were marked as hidden or as a "protected system file"

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for all the input guys, but this problem seems to magically fixed it self. After a few boots into Knoppix and accessing the files to verifify their integrity, Windows somehow can see and read all the files that I couldn't access before....go figure...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix to recover data
    By robmillard in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
  2. How to Recover Data?
    By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
  3. Trying to recover data, need help please
    By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. how can i recover data??
    By dreday202 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
  5. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD picture

Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD

$379.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base

$170.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00