-
Newbie building a Bootp/tftp server with knoppix
I would like to use knoopix to build a bootp/tftp server to allow unexperimented people to download binary image to PowerPc industrial board. BootP/Tftp server should be ready after booting a knoopix CD. Then Bootp request is automatically done when PowerPc board is powered-on
I already know how to do that on Windows machine with expensive softwares.
My question is :
how customize a knoopix CD to :
- add my own bootp table as /etc/bootptab
- add my own PowerPc image as /home/PPCimages/boardnumber.prp
- set the IP adress to something like 192.168.0.1
- set the arp table to add the mac address of my PPC board
- run automatically the bootp server daemon and the tftp server daemon.
I'm not a newbie in software but in linux administration and knoopixjavascript:emoticon('
') .
Thanks
-
For the network configuration, I think I can found all the stuff I want
at
http://fr.tldp.org/HOWTO/lecture//NET4-HOWTO.html
(french version of the network HOWTO)
I've just tried to build a bootable USB stick.
But I don't understand why mounting miniroot.
In the next few days I wilkl try the following procedure :
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUSBBased
-
In progress
The job is in progress :
I had downloaded a Knoppix CD image. 45 minutes for 700 Mb.
Unfortunately, the md5 checking gave me errors.
I had not be able to download an image without md5 errors.
I had try 4 times.
So I had burnt the CD as is and it works fine.
Strange !!.
Then I follow the KnoppixRemasteringHowto.
I'd been able to burn a CD that works fine without GIMP and OpenOffice.
It is about 100 Mbytes lighter.
I had made a new remastering :
- remove other unused packages as games and so on
- remove the tftp-hpa package
- add the tftpd package
- add the bootp package
- add a new directory /tftpboot with a 6 Mbytes .prp PowerPc binary file in.
- modify the /etc/bootptab file to add the target board mac address and the above file
- modify /etc/services to include bootpd and tftpd
- modify /etc/initd.conf to automatically run the bootpd and tftpd services.
I had try to build the .iso image but it is now 900Mbytes !!! ???
Damned.
What I had done wrong ?
Todos :
- Find the above mistake,
- modify /etc/hosts
- modify the ifconfig to force the PC to start with a fixed 192.168.0.1 ip address.
For this last issue I need help as I don't know how to do that.
Who can help me ?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: In progress

Originally Posted by
gbrisset
......
I had downloaded a Knoppix CD image. 45 minutes for 700 Mb.
Unfortunately, the md5 checking gave me errors.
I had not be able to download an image without md5 errors.
I had try 4 times.
So I had burnt the CD as is and it works fine.
Strange !!.....
That's very strange, particularly since I've traced the errors I see to a new line to CR/LF translation that is happening for many of the sites (they and Windows seem to transfer the file as if it was a text file rather than a binary file and so the "helpfull" translation happens. One work around for this would be to get a copy with bittorrent, which does no such translation (and has other tests to be sure your copy is good). I'm surprised your copy works at all (although, of course, you might have other corruption than I had), but you certainly can't trust it if the md5 sum is bad.
-
Rather than burning CDs I had try to test the iso image with the :
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1
and i put there the iso file just built.
This does not work. I get :
cannot find a knoppix file system or something like that.
About the 900 Mbytes sized iso image.
the /mnt/hda1/knx/source and master directories are always on my hard drive.
Before building a new image, do not forget to remove the
/mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file either the new built master is appended to the old one.
Now the iso file is 450 Mbytes.
This new iso image has been burnt, but it does not work.
May be I had removed too much packages.
I think removing the gtk package is not a good idea.
I had remove nessus. Is it good ?
Similar Threads
-
By calacode in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
-
By zerberus in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 08:57 PM
-
By jcchains in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:16 AM
-
By mmaki in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2003, 03:53 AM
-
By mmaki in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM
$550.00

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55