Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can't find KNOPPIX file system

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Can't find KNOPPIX file system

    Hi,

    I have a compaq nx9110 laptop that will not boot Knoppix.

    I have:
    checked the MD5 hash
    burned a second ISO
    actually booted the CD in my desktop machine

    If I simply boot to "knoppix" it shows my hard disk as "hda" and my dvdrom/cdburner as "hdc" it then tries to load knoppix from dev/scd0 at which point the hard drive & cd-rom lights flash for a few minutes and then the machine locks up hard.

    I've also tried "knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" and "knoppix ide2=0x180,0x386" with the same results as above.


    I don't remember the command issued, but it's the one that does as little hardware detection as possible. When I try that, I get "can't find KNOPPIX file system ..." and it dumps me to a very limited shell.

    I think the problem is in the hda,hdc,scd0 - should it be looking at hdc instead of scd0? I can arrange, derange, mutalate files, burn a new CD or whatever it takes - if someone could at least point me in the right direction or tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can't find KNOPPIX file system

    Quote Originally Posted by Spool32
    I have a compaq nx9110 laptop that will not boot ...

    I've also tried "knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" and "knoppix ide2=0x180,0x386" with the same results as above.
    Just a hunch based on my HP notebook:
    knoppix (or knoppix26) noscsi acpi=off

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    HK, thanks for the info. I tried it out to no avail. By some trial and error, I figured out that all I needed was the "nodma" switch and it seems to work well.


    Now, I just need to figure out how to get Kismet & my Orinoco to work in here... the fun's just beginning I'm sure!


  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Holliston, MA USA
    Posts
    1

    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem - try "knoppix atapicd no

    I have had this problem on 3 machines that booted the 3.4 CD just fine. They're all about 5 yrs old, with ATAPI CDs. What I found worked was:

    boot: knoppix atapicd nodma

    Hope this helps

    Peter

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1
    I have a similar problem with 3.6. My CD is just not being found. AFAICT the boot sequence is looking at hda, hdc, scd0 ... but not hdb, which is where my CD actually is.

    Even if I boot with noscsi it still tries to find a Cd on scd0 etc.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Find Knoppix File System
    By crism in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
  2. Knoppix cannot find file system
    By snippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Can't Find KNOPPIX File System..
    By MR.Error in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
  4. HELP..... Knoppix can't find File System
    By BiggJeff74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM
  5. Knoppix cant find file system
    By Neo855 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00



NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89