Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: screwed up sudo

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    screwed up sudo

    I am running a hd install of kanotix debian. Did update sudo package tonight and my pkg mgr decided to crash.

    Result:

    nish@ecs:~$ sudo
    usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
    usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
    { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
    nish@ecs:~$

    I have uninstalled and reinstalled sudo and nish (me) is in sudoers group. Any ideas? On reinstall I did a message that no sudoers group was found in /etc and it created one for me. Help much appreciated. This is a new one to me and I have to get it back. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I'm probably just missing something, but what about the output you showed is wrong? Since you didn't give it any command to run as the super-user it makes sense that it'd be telling you what the valid command options are.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    normally sudo returns a password prompt, no? Or is that just su? (idjot mode here)

    The only command I ever gave it was sudo knoppix-installer and I don't want to run that again LOL

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    By default I think sudo asks for a password. But I thought knoppix and kanotix set the sudoers file up so that you can run sudo without a password. Look in your sudoers file...it probably has NOPASSWD in it.

    ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL

    change it to

    ALL = (ALL) ALL

    if you want to have to do the password. I think that's right anyways.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    ahhh, that was what was throwing me, maybe. All this distro trying out (and Fedora being so different especially). Maybe I should stop playing with the others...

    Really, why do I keep trying out other distros when I am perfectly happy with kanotix ? *rhetorical question*

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    Really, why do I keep trying out other distros when I am perfectly happy with kanotix ? *rhetorical question*
    Because you're curious and want to see what the alternatives are like. Nothing wrong with that...unless that curious tendency bleeds over into one's marriage or something. :P

Similar Threads

  1. Am I screwed to wait?
    By Stealth870 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM
  2. Have I screwed-up apt-get?
    By Bob_Ullet in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 03:32 AM
  3. refresh rate and resolution all screwed up
    By jc01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:31 AM
  4. HD Installs: Have you screwed one up before?
    By jdong in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:16 AM
  5. I screwed up!!
    By WANDr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 10:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive... picture

Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive...

$149.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse

$350.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro

$59.00



15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested picture

15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested

$85.00



Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector picture

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector

$50.00



Vintage 1980s 1990s Lot of 175 Used PC Computer 5.25

Vintage 1980s 1990s Lot of 175 Used PC Computer 5.25" Floppy Disks IBM

$175.00



Vintage Intel iPDS-100  Personal Development System picture

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System

$1499.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99