Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dual-Booting Q's

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78

    Dual-Booting Q's

    Okey now that I've put my laptop through the ringer theres a few thigns I've still got problems with

    I'm lost as to how to Dual-Boot the two (XP and Knoppix 3.7). When I installed Knoppix I used QTParted to make a 1.5 Gig Swap and the rest of the HD was ex 2 or 3 then did sudo knoppix-installer. XP I just booted from the CD and went through the steps etc. So I can install both to the HD with ease provided that they get the whole HD to themselves. How do I put the 2 togather? More specificaly which one should I put on first and when I install the second how do I let the MBR (preferrably Lilo) know that their both on there?

    Its alot to ask so any responces are most appreciated! Thanks

    -Jameson

    EDIT: The only reason I need an XP partition is for software that just hasn't been ported to Linux and for other people that occasionaly use my notebook.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Install windows first then install knoppix so the linux bootloader can take over after you install knoppix-only if it is written to the mbr. The knoppix bootloader should automatically detect the windows partition so you only need to tweak it to the way you like after you do your installs. Your swap only needs to be about 500MB - 1.5GB is not needed. Use the extra space for your other partitions. I use ext3 filesystem all the time for linux.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    actually you can install the bootloader to floppy and use Windows ntldr to boot linux.
    here is two postings where we discused it.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14608

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78
    Thanks for the replies!

    Alright heres how I have my HD chopped up (40 Gigs).

    Using QT Parted on the Live version

    First 10gigs - WinXP
    Then 800 Meg for swap
    Then 29 gigs of ex3

    So when I go to install Knoppix I should put Lilo on the MBR and it will auto-decet the WinXP parition?

    The reason I had 1.5Gig of swap is becuase on another comp I have knoppix on it had very little RAM and I had heard that a bigger swap can help.

    actually you can install the bootloader to floppy and use Windows ntldr to boot linux.
    here is two postings where we discused it.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14608
    Sadly my notebook doesn't have a floppy so I don't think that will be possible. Thanks though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    That should work out for you. It will detect windows partition for you. It usually only gives you 5 seconds to choose unless you hit any key to stop the timer, then you can choose what OS to boot into.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    78
    Alrighty, Im gonna give it a shot now.

    Thanks again and I'll post if it works out.

    -Jameson

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you have no floppy there are ways around that aswell.
    the most straightforward i guess is installing lilo to the / (root) partition instead.
    then do
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hdXY of=/root/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1
    Where XY is driveletter and partition number of /.
    the resulting file you then can put on any "linux writable media" basically any not NTFS media: floppy, usbpen, fat32 hddpartition, cd, the SDcard of your digital camera...
    then you just move it to C:\ in windows and edit boot.ini
    as described by me here
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14608
    you could even mail the file to yourself.

Similar Threads

  1. Dual-booting, unable to format
    By AliveUD in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
  2. dual booting
    By sklynn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
  3. Yippee..I am dual booting
    By dlhusk in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:50 PM
  4. Dual Booting
    By chim in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 02:04 AM
  5. Dual Booting :)
    By Gremlix in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00