Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how to add symbolic link to root

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    dOWN uNDER
    Posts
    3

    how to add symbolic link to root

    I have been having fun remastering Knoppix to create a portable development environment for a particular project. I removed some software and installed lots of new software I need and all works well.

    Most of the process is black magic to me and I am using the excellent knoppix-remaster script which works a charm.

    I want to put a symbolic link in the root directory (/) - but this hasn't worked for me.

    I chroot into the remaster system and creating the link I require. I then go through the create compressed file system and create iso steps, but when I boot my new system, the link I created is missing from /

    Can anyone tell me how to include a symbolic link in the root directory of my re-mastered Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14
    I am also a new user for knoppix, so forgive me if I made wrong suggestion

    the /root in Knoppix is in ramdisk, and Knoppix doesn't copy file from /KNOPPIX/root ro /root .
    what you can do is create a script in /etc/init.d/myscript
    ln -s /etc/init.d/myscript /etc/rc5.d/S50myscript

    and put somthing like ln -s ... ... there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    dOWN uNDER
    Posts
    3
    Ah so easy! Thanks for the mighty clue, my brain was fogged up from long hard day at the computer.

Similar Threads

  1. ...symbolic link to nowhere...?
    By Fatcharlie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 07:57 PM
  2. D-Link DWL-650(M)
    By Jameson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Symbolic Linking
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:07 PM
  4. Web link
    By sklynn in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:34 AM
  5. Symbolic links are readonly!?
    By xiao in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Windows Server Datacenter 2025 32 CORE 50 CALs 10 CPU USB With Key picture

Windows Server Datacenter 2025 32 CORE 50 CALs 10 CPU USB With Key

$175.00