Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Sound not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    Sound not working

    I have installed knoppix on a Dell Inspirion 8250.
    Knoppix works well except the sound does not work.
    I get the following error message:

    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    can't start sound i/o
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    Here is my harware configuration:

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82850 850 (Tehama) Chipset Host Bridge (M
    CH) (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0145
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82850 850 (Tehama) Chipset AGP Bridge (rev
    04) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 64
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
    I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
    Memory behind bridge: ff800000-ff9fffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e8000000-f7ffffff

    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [Nor
    mal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
    I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
    Memory behind bridge: ff600000-ff7fffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f8000000-f80fffff

    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 04)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801BA IDE U100 (rev 04) (prog-if 80 [
    Master])
    Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0145
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
    I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]

    0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM SMBus (rev 04)
    Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0145
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at ccf0 [size=16]

    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 NE [Ra
    deon 9500 Pro] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 3002
    Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
    Memory at ff8f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 [Radeon 9500
    Pro] (Secondary)
    Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 3003
    Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at ff8e0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:01.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Cont
    roller (rev 50) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at dce0 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:01.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Cont
    roller (rev 50) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at dcc0 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:01.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51) (prog-if 2
    0 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID): Unknown device 1234
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at ff6ffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:02.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Cont
    roller (rev 50) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at dca0 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:02.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Cont
    roller (rev 50) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at dc80 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:02.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51) (prog-if 2
    0 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID): Unknown device 1234
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
    Memory at ff6ff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Cap
    ture (rev 11)
    Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc AVerTV WDM Video Capture
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at f80ff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:07.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (
    rev 11)
    Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc AVerTV WDM Audio Capture
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at f80fe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:08.0 Modem: Broadcom Corporation BCM4212 v.90 56k modem (rev 02) (prog-
    if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0002
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
    Memory at ff6fe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at dc70 [size=16]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] EMU10k 1X
    Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at dc40 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] Input devi ce controller
    Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    I/O ports at dc68 [size=8]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0145
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
    Memory at ff6fd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
    Memory at ff6c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>


    Can anyone help me? I am new to linux

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Don't know if this will work, but you can try.

    Try edit /etc/modutils/aliases and add:
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
    options snd-emu10k1 index=0

    Save it and open root konsole and run : update-modules

    Still in root konsole, run:
    depmod -a
    modprobe snd-emu10k1
    modprobe snd-pcm-oss
    modprobe snd-seq-oss

    Then run: alsamixer
    unmute the card

    or run Kmixer


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Don't know if this will work, but you can try.

    Try edit /etc/modutils/aliases and add:
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
    options snd-emu10k1 index=0

    Save it and open root konsole and run : update-modules

    Still in root konsole, run:
    depmod -a
    modprobe snd-emu10k1
    modprobe snd-pcm-oss
    modprobe snd-seq-oss

    Then run: alsamixer
    unmute the card

    or run Kmixer

    Might only work with a HDinstall.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Don't know if this will work, but you can try.

    Try edit /etc/modutils/aliases and add:
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
    options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
    options snd-emu10k1 index=0

    Save it and open root konsole and run : update-modules

    Still in root konsole, run:
    depmod -a
    modprobe snd-emu10k1
    modprobe snd-pcm-oss
    modprobe snd-seq-oss

    Then run: alsamixer
    unmute the card

    or run Kmixer

    tried, but when I type
    modprobe snd-emu10k1

    I get:

    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-pcm.o: insmod /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-pcm.o failed
    /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-pcm.o: insmod snd-emu10k1 failed

    Any idea of what cused it?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Thanks,

    I'll look into it. Is there a way to know the version of the card is used through a command?

    Thanks for your help. If I don't get the sound working soon I'll have to revert to Windows
    and wait untill the drivers or the documentation improve.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try:
    lspci
    cat /proc/pci


    How about buying a cheap new pci sound card rather then waiting for a new driver is coming out which we don't know when. Make sure the card is supported by linux/knoppix.



  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    Try:
    lspci
    cat /proc/pci


    How about buying a cheap new pci sound card rather then waiting for a new driver is coming out which we don't know when. Make sure the card is supported by linux/knoppix.


    I managed to install the properd driver I think. It was emu10k1x, I have a SOundblaster SB0200. This is exactly the module suggested from creative.

    now if I list the modules (lsmod) I get:

    snd-seq-midi 3040 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    snd-seq-midi-event 3136 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi]
    snd-seq 35216 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event]
    snd-emu10k1x 8228 1 (autoclean)
    snd-rawmidi 12224 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-emu10k1x]
    snd-seq-device 3624 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
    snd-ac97-codec 47648 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1x]
    snd-pcm 53668 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1x snd-ac97-codec]
    snd-timer 13828 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq snd-pcm]
    snd 28740 1 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-emu10k1x snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer]
    snd-page-alloc 4200 0 (autoclean) [snd-seq-midi snd-seq snd-emu10k1x snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-pcm snd-timer snd]

    no errors during installation. Still I can not hear any sound!!!!

    The application Kmix, now shows the Soundblaster and all the channels.

    Any other suggestions? I feel like I am very close to solve the
    mistery.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try do some ajustment in kmix (trial&error).
    Check on input tab (increase pcm vol) and switches tab.
    Try enable or disable some of the swiches....while playing music.


  10. #10

    Linux's Funky Handling of Sound

    Goto the control panel and make sure no options are used.
    1) Full Duplex
    2) Any other options

    I have a Compaq Presario 3000 and caught hell understanding how;
    1) Sound Works with KDE running
    2) Not working else where, Asterisk can't find sound

    I still haven't figured out what the real problem is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sound not working
    By Fenwick in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 03:10 AM
  2. sound is not working now.
    By jason_pine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 11:15 PM
  3. Sound not working in Skype
    By steev in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
  4. Sound only working for root
    By Edwin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 04:46 PM
  5. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$74.99