-
Configuring LILO - problem with Default
I have installed Windows XP and Knoppix 3.6 on my computer, single harddisk with two partitions, one for Windows and the other one for Knoppix, now everything works fine, and LILO works too, but when I tried to change the default booting operating system from Linux to Windows, I cannot seem to do it, and when I run Lilo, this is what I get:
Added Linux
Added Linux(2.4)-1
Added Linux(2.6)-2
Added WinXP
Fatal: Default image doesn't exist.
What do I need in my lilo.conf to fix it? As I can't remember if I've deleted anything that I shouldn't have in the file... Thanks
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda2
bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/debianlilo.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp
delay=20
timeout=50
map=/boot/map
vga=791
default='Linux"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=en screen=1280x800"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=en screen=1280x800"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.7
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=en screen=1280x800"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="WinXP"
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Configuring LILO - problem with Default

Originally Posted by
yche086
Fatal: Default image doesn't exist.
Do you mean that you can run lilo with the above lilo.conf, but get the error when changing 'default='Linux"' to 'default='WinXP"'? This should work, though... You could try moving the windows entry firts, and comenting out the "default" line; the 1st entry will then become the default.
-
Hi again,
Actually I've just stuffed up my lilo when I was playing with it...
and I found out that the problem is its not actually configuring using the lilo.conf file? Was I modifying the right file? (/etc/lilo.conf) i.e. is there a way to to Lilo which configuration file I want to use? So now neither Windows nor Linux will boot because I've done something (yes, I know, sorry that's the best I can say, I'm new to LInux...) ! I still have access to my partitions, but I'm using the Knoppix 3.6 CD to boot now because I've stuffed up my Lilo, how can I reload Lilo to my MBR?? Thanks for the help
PS:
/dev/hda1 is my Windows XP and
/dev/hda2 is my Knoppix (HDD installed version)
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
yche086
how can I reload Lilo to my MBR?
Assuming what you gave in the initial post is what you're seeing as /mnt/hda2/etc/lilo.conf, you can re-install via:
- boot knoppix to text mode "knoppix 2 noswap" at the boot prompt
- mount /mnt/hda2
- chroot /mnt/hda2
- lilo -v
Pay attention to possible error messages; if there are none, you can reboot and should have a working boot loader.
-
This is what I got on the screen after I did what you said:
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: Permission denied
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: Permission denied
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied
Any idea what this means?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
yche086
Any idea what this means?Thanks
Ouch! Sorry, no, I have never seen this mapper problem before. Maybe someone here has and could advise?
I take it you're seeing the messages when running lilo, right? Can you visualise your partition table (fdsik/cfdisk/qtparted) without problem, or should we perhaps start suspecting a corruption there?
Also you could try booting off the CD with the other kernel revision (2.4 if you had been using 2.6, and vice-versa; check the <F2> help screen at boot time for the appropriate cheat-code).
-
# mount -o dev /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1; chroot /mnt/hda1
# lilo -v
This is what I found here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7532, that did the trick and its now back up and running, thanks for the help, much appreciated
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Configuring LILO - problem with Default

Originally Posted by
yche086
I have installed Windows XP and Knoppix 3.6 on my computer, single harddisk with two partitions, one for Windows and the other one for Knoppix, now everything works fine, and LILO works too, but when I tried to change the default booting operating system from Linux to Windows, I cannot seem to do it, and when I run Lilo, this is what I get:
Added Linux
Added Linux(2.4)-1
Added Linux(2.6)-2
Added WinXP
Fatal: Default image doesn't exist.
What do I need in my lilo.conf to fix it? As I can't remember if I've deleted anything that I shouldn't have in the file... Thanks
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda2
bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/debianlilo.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp
delay=20
timeout=50
map=/boot/map
vga=791
default='Linux"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=en screen=1280x800"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=en screen=1280x800"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.7
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=en screen=1280x800"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label="WinXP"
Is this copied from the atual lilo.conf? or typed in?
because you appear to have a typo:
Single quote preceding Linux & the double quote following.
Should be both double quotes.
-
Is this copied from the atual lilo.conf? or typed in?
That was a typo when I was playing around with lilo.conf, but that was not the problem though, I think the problem was some stuff to do with root access, but I have fixed that now, THANKS!!
Similar Threads
-
By knoppix-user in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:14 PM
-
By pcorajr in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 12:41 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:44 PM
-
By drg55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 09:10 AM
-
By satoshi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-31-2003, 12:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08