Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing Knoppix on hard drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2

    Installing Knoppix on hard drive

    Hi,

    I am trying knoppix for the first time. I like the way it configured
    itself on my machine. This made me want to install it to the hard
    drive.

    I have an old AMD Duron 800 with SIS 630. When booting from the CD, I
    had to specify the xvrefresh=75 and screen=1024x768 for it to come up
    properly, otherwise it failed (screen was not visible).

    Also because of the shared memory for the video card, I need to
    specify the mem= on the boot options as well.

    After I got through these problems, the CD-based session worked well.

    I currently have a dual boot between Debian Woody and Windows XP. I
    want to replace Debian with Knoppix. knx-hdinstall seems to use only
    two partitions (swap and root), so the partitioning scheme that I had
    created for debian could not be used. I just chose one of the large
    partitions for the root filesystem and proceeded.

    I think lilo had problems, but I couldn't read any error messages as
    the hdinstaller went to the next step immediately.

    Upon booting, I still saw the "old" lilo screen from my debian
    installation. Needless to say, choosing one of those options failed
    miserably.

    I rebooted with the knoppix CD and tried to run lilo by hand. I
    mounted the filesystem that I had installed as the root filesystem
    through "mount -o rw /mnt/hdb6". Then I did "cd /mnt/hdb6; chroot ."
    All this seemed to work fine. I could see the /etc/lilo.conf (in
    /mnt/hdb6) having the boot device as /dev/hdb. I tried running lilo -
    it says "Fatal: cannot open /dev/hdb". I tried changing it to /dev/hda
    with the same results.

    What can I do to proceed?

    Thanks,
    Sridhar

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    I rebooted with the knoppix CD and tried to run lilo by hand. I
    mounted the filesystem that I had installed as the root filesystem
    through "mount -o rw /mnt/hdb6". Then I did "cd /mnt/hdb6; chroot ."
    All this seemed to work fine. I could see the /etc/lilo.conf (in
    /mnt/hdb6) having the boot device as /dev/hdb. I tried running lilo -
    it says "Fatal: cannot open /dev/hdb". I tried changing it to /dev/hda
    with the same results.
    The problem was that chroot didn't have access to the same mounts that the CD did.

    So, here's how I solved this problem:

    I changed the boot device to /dev/hda as mentioned above.

    Then I moved /boot to /boot.old, ln -s /mnt/hdb6/boot /boot

    lilo -C /mnt/hdb6/etc/lilo.conf then works fine.

    Note: if you have to add any kernel parameters to the boot, you should edit lilo.conf before running lilo.

    Sridhar

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Glad you got it working. But actually all you had to do was boot your new install with the boot floppy and run LILO. Oh and BTW - although Knoppix won't install to your original partition scheme it certainly can be made to use it after installation. Simply copy the respective directories to their new partitons, make sure everything points to the new locations and you're set.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help installing Knoppix 3.8.1 to hard drive please
    By linuxnewbie01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 03:55 AM
  2. Installing Knoppix on hard drive
    By Bubba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
  3. installing knoppix on hard drive
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 06:39 PM
  4. Can i use knoppix of a hard drive.? Without Installing.
    By stupidkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM
  5. Installing Knoppix on 2nd Hard Drive
    By Andy from Somerset in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50