Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: changing run levels? need some advise

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    changing run levels? need some advise

    Have a bright shiny new nvidia fx 5500 and need to install the driver for it. I am such a noob, have been a bit intimidated by it in the past but I figure screw it, I backed up to a cd system with kdar, what the heck. Anyway, I do not know how to change into different run levels. (eyes rolling all over the forum, what the hell is this guy doing in Linux?) If someone would give be a boost, I will get this started. I have a Xandros install on the hdb so I might try it on that first since I plan to replace it with fc3 anyway.

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    ctrl-alt-F runlevel #

    ex:

    runlevel 2:
    ctrl-alt-F2

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I use the command init # to change runlevels. If i boot Knoppix 3.6 from CD using the cheat code knoppix 2 vga=normal then I am dumped into a console session as root in runlevel 2. If after that I then want to run a normal KDE session I use init 5. If I want to reboot I use init 6 and if I want to shutdown I use init 0. Take a look at /etc/inittab as it will not only list the default runlevel but also list function of the other runlevels.
    Here is a good page on runlevels http://www.telenovela-world.com/~spa...t-HOWTO-6.html.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thanx guys

    thats what I needed...now I am off to hose my xconfig file

    helios

Similar Threads

  1. migrating from Windoze...need some advise
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM
  2. Linux noob / Wireless purchasing advise
    By likebrokenrecords in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. Could you guys advise me regarding mobo & cpu choice?
    By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 01:42 AM
  4. X and run levels
    By cesman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 02:38 AM
  5. Changing IRQ
    By cjaferre in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93