Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Hard disk boot sector invalid

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3

    Hard disk boot sector invalid

    Greetings,

    I am very new to linux and recently installed the Knoppix 3.6 CD on a PC with success. So, I decided to install it on my laptop (HP Pavilion without a floppy drive) using the installer that comes with it. I used the IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer and when through the installation as I did with the PC. I chose the basic configuration and partitioned the whole hard drive for a single linux boot. Everything appeared to go well until it was time to remove the CD and reboot. I get the usual HP logo page and then I receive the following:

    Hard disk boot sector invalid
    Press 'H' to retry Hard Disk, any other key for floppy

    Again, I don't have a floppy and selected "No" when it was offered during the installation.

    What has happened and how do I get beyond this issue?

    Thanks,

    NEOMinds

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You need to reinstall and this time don't use IGNORE_CHECK=1.


Similar Threads

  1. Iso Hard disk boot 3.8.1
    By vegetto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 12:40 AM
  2. Getting Knoppix to boot off a USB Hard Disk
    By Crenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
  3. Boot from CD to PCMCIA Hard Disk
    By Merdock in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 02:14 PM
  4. Boot sector
    By djordie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 10:52 PM
  5. Boot from Hard Disk without floppy
    By nicklaser in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72