Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Several issues -- and some solutions :-)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    5

    Several issues -- and some solutions :-)

    Hi,

    This is my first post ever in this forum. I have installed Knoppix 3.4 in my hard disk so GNU/Linux is my only SO and my computer is finally MS-Free.

    Most of the things are going fine with Knoppix, but I got some problems that may be you could help me with .

    1.- When the computer starts, after the lilo booting, I se the penguin but the first messages say something about "devfs" (that it was not mounted). I do not have any idea about what this means. Anything seems to work properly afterwards anyway, but if someone has any idea about it and how to solve, I will really apreciate it.

    2.- Wireless card: I have a ipw2100 card in my computer... and it works! The problem is that it does not work EVERY boot. What can I do when knoppix does not configure it properly at startup? Up to the moment I am just rebooting...

    3.- Wireless configuraton: Another thing is that my router uses WEP, so I have to use the "su" command and "iwconfig" every time I boot. Is there a way to do it automatically at startup? I have been manipulating some files in /etc/wlan, but they do not seem to work...

    Thank you very much in advance...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    devfs
    Here is some very general information about it:
    http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html
    Since Knoppix uses a special boot process, the message you see is probably not a real error.

    I have to use the "su" command and "iwconfig" every time I boot.
    The easiest way will be to put all the commands you are typing into a shell script (/etc/init.d/XXXXX). You can then configure your computer to run the shell script at every boot (in /etc/rcX.d)

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    5
    Hi...

    Just wanted to say that putting the script in /etc/init.d worked fine. The only thing is that then I used a tool "Sys V-init-Editor" to put the script distinct "run-levels" (I think I guessed the good ones).

    I took a look on the website, but just the first paragraphs looked a little intimidating (many known things for me, at lease), so I will try afterwards with more time.

    Thank you very much...

    Another thing: How can I do to make X to detect my USB modem once it is running? I managed to make it work, but it only does it when it is connected before starting X...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    5

    The script

    Here is the script. Who knows... maybe it could be useful for another person. I changed it so it provides the wep key when detects my access point, or disables wep encryption otherwise (for the office).

    It is written is perl, since I'm more familiar (not expert) with this languague than shell scripting.

    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    
    # myaccesspoint.pl
    # Looks for my home access point and provides my WEP key if it is found.
    # Otherwise, it disables WEP key
    
    # Some "configurations"
    # My card device
    $card = "eth0";
    # access point address
    $AP = "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx";
    # WEP KEY
    $WEP = "yyyyyyyyyyyyyy";
    
    # Checks for the access point
    open( CHECK,"iwlist $card scan | grep $AP |" );
    
    if(<CHECK> ) {
      # Provides WEP key if my access point is found
      print STDERR "Configuring network with WEP key\n";
      system "iwconfig $card key $WEP";
    } else {
       # Configures wireless network without key if my access point is not found
      print STDERR "Configuring network without WEP\n";
      system "iwconfig $card key off";
    }
    
    # Asks for IP (I have DHCP in both places).
    print STDERR "Pumping for an IP\n";
    system "pump -i $card";

Similar Threads

  1. Missing NTLDR files no solutions work!
    By Mr.Joecat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
  2. Problems w/Radeon 7000VE (& possible solutions)
    By bspachman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:40 PM
  3. A few issues
    By rushworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.3 Apt-Get - Problems & Solutions
    By Eavy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:23 PM
  5. Solutions for a change
    By newman in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 11:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99