Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Booting Knoppix from CD

  1. #1

    Booting Knoppix from CD

    I am having trouble booting Knoppix 3.4 from my CD drive. I have set the bios to boot from "CDROM" but I am wondering which drive it is checking. My CD is in my E: drive.

    When I try to boot it if boots windows from my HDD even though I told it to check for CD first. I am pretty sure the CD-RW is burned correctly, I burned it with Alcohol 120% and I don't think that is the problem, but it may be.

    The check sum I have is 7ee0382655abf194aa300a98100cacde which seems to be correct.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Would give you links to the downloading help, but there is a problem with the website at the moment. Don't know alcohol, can't talk you through that. If you look at the burnt disk in Windows do you see a lot of files (you should) or just 1 big iso file (meaning you burnt it wrong)? Did you check the md5 sum before burning? Keep checking the docs button at the top of this page; when it starts working again read the faq and how to and downloading (which includes burning).

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    If you look at the burnt disk in Windows do you see a lot of files (you should) or just 1 big iso file (meaning you burnt it wrong)?
    It has lots of files. The check sum file says 7ee0382655abf194aa300a98100cacde *KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso

    I just can't get it to even try to boot. Do you think it's checking the E: drive for "CDROM"?

    I'm trying to download Knoppix 3.6 to burn and try that. I just hope I can get something to work. Other versions of Linux aren't an option, as a HDD installation is out of the question as I am doing this on the family computer. I just want to try out Linux because I may build a cheap computer soon and I don't want to have to pay about a hundred dollars for windows on a $200-$300 PC.

    EDIT: Problems out the wazoo downloading 3.6 I am going to try to download Nero.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    eadz has the documentation working again. Read http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading and http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/DownloadingHowTo

    Did you check the md5 sum of what you downloaded (and was it correct)?

    You might well have a BIOS problem if it's not booting the CD. Can you boot any other bootable CD? There are several boot loaders that will let you boot from any CD drive, even a second or third CD drive, and even if the BIOS can't boot from CD properly. I use XOSL for this, but others have mentioned "Smart Boot Manager". Smart Boot Manager might be a better choice, since you can install it to a floppy and then use that to force your CD to boot (assuming the CD is good). I don't have a link for either handy, but you can find them quickly with Google.

    Knoppix is a great live CD, but there are other versions of live CD's that you might want to look at too. Knoppix is not your only option for a live CD. But you need to get booting a CD resolved before you start trying out different versions for the right fit.

    If you can get it to boot up to the first prompt, I think there is an option that should let you test the CD. But you don't seem to be that far yet.

  5. #5
    Turns out there is nothing wrong with the CD at all.

    My bios just won't boot from a CD even when set to do so. I found downloadable Knoppix 3.4 boot disks, downloaded them and then I was able to boot with them.

    I am posting this from Mozilla via Knoppix. I just wish I had enough RAM to move Knoppix entirely into it to make it faster.

    Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  2. I need help booting knoppix
    By Ron in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 05:10 PM
  3. Booting KNOPPIX. PLEASE HELP!!
    By MavetLaAravim in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 04:58 AM
  4. Booting Knoppix
    By p3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 09:01 PM
  5. Booting to knoppix
    By KnoppixSecurity in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO-  32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard picture

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard

$370.00



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor

$259.99



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95