Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: whats the advantage of the 2.6 kernel?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    whats the advantage of the 2.6 kernel?

    I currently have knoppix 3.6 on hda and xandros on hdb. Because I let xandros control the boot sequence via lilo, it only gives me one choice of kernel boot. it is currently booting into 2.4.27 kernel. I have not yet installed the 3d drivers for my new nvidia fx 5500 and before I do, I want to know if there is any real difference between the two offered kernels in knoppix 3.6. Currently, I have everything working with the 2.4 kernel, but I am a practitioner of "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" philosophy. Is there any real advantage to the 2.6 kernel? AND...any little secrets I might need to know about when I do this nvidia driver install?

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    There are some advantages to the 2.6 kernel, some discussion of it here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11985
    You can edit your (xandros) /etc/lilo.conf to add a boot option to boot knoppix with the 2.6 kernel then rerun lilo (from xandros).

    Add an entry similar to your present Knoppix entry:


    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6
    label="Knoppix26"
    root=/dev/hda5 (wherever your knoppix is)
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.6
    append(same as your other knoppix entry)
    read-only

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: whats the advantage of the 2.6 kernel?

    Quote Originally Posted by helios17
    I currently have knoppix 3.6 on hda and xandros on hdb. Because I let xandros control the boot sequence via lilo, it only gives me one choice of kernel boot. it is currently booting into 2.4.27 kernel.
    You can add another section for the 2.6 kernel in lilo.conf and run lilo to update it.

    I have not yet installed the 3d drivers for my new nvidia fx 5500 and before I do, I want to know if there is any real difference between the two offered kernels in knoppix 3.6.
    Some people say 2.6 is faster but I haven't noticed anything. 2.6 has some newer hardware support if you need it.

    Currently, I have everything working with the 2.4 kernel, but I am a practitioner of "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" philosophy. Is there any real advantage to the 2.6 kernel? AND...any little secrets I might need to know about when I do this nvidia driver install?
    Don't use nvidia myself, but you have to do something like this: http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm or just search this forum for nvidia.

    The point of adding the other kernel to lilo is that you should always have one kernel that works if you mess the other one up. Not that important when you can chroot from the knoppix cd though.

    EDIT: And again a slow post by me

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thanx guys

    I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me in detail. I keep these posts pasted and saved into text files so I can reference them later. you guyz rock.

    btw, knoppix 3.6 hd gives me two kernels to choose from. is that normal? I mean, does suse for example come with two kernels?

    helios

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: thanx guys

    Quote Originally Posted by helios17
    I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me in detail. I keep these posts pasted and saved into text files so I can reference them later.
    I find knotes is convenient for doing this.
    btw, knoppix 3.6 hd gives me two kernels to choose from. is that normal? I mean, does suse for example come with two kernels?
    helios
    It is rare to have two kernels in a distro. I think Knoppix did it because the 2.6 was considered very experimental when it was first included.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
  2. I'm not sure whats wrong
    By SkeetQ in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 04:16 AM
  3. Whats the diferent between..
    By piko in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
  4. Whats unstable and whats testing
    By tonyleake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 06:16 PM
  5. SSH? Whats it used for.
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM

$65000.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



288GB 18x Mixed Brand 16GB Mixed Speed RAM TESTED picture

288GB 18x Mixed Brand 16GB Mixed Speed RAM TESTED

$900.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00