Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How to somehow install themes to KDE 3.2????!!!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    How to somehow install themes to KDE 3.2????!!!

    Hi,
    I've installed Knoppix to my harddrive, and I've got almost everything configured just how I like it. I have one question that I would REALLY like to be answered, so if you have anything to say AT ALL, please do. Here's my question(s):
    Is it possible to install a theme, even without the Theme Manager(not in KDE 3.2)?
    How do I do it?
    If it's not possible to install themes in this version, what about Window Decorations?
    How do I install Window Decorations?
    (I have a really sweet Window Decoration that I would rather install. I've converted the package to a .deb file from an .rpm, and I am now trying to figure out this manual that was included.
    Manual:
    -- INSTALL -----------------------------------

    Basic Installation (from the console):
    - Step 1
    $ ./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix`
    - Step 2
    $ make
    - Step 3 (as root)
    # make install

    If configure fails, check that you have both
    the Qt and KDE development headers installed.

    You need at least KDE 3.2 and QT 3.3.

    Debian note: You may need to append
    --with-qt-includes=/usr/include/qt3
    to the configure line.

    ----------------------------------------------
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me!!!! This is the main reason I installed Knoppix to my HD!!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Isn't there a readymade .deb file for your theme?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Google KDE (search within results) theme (search within results) .deb & see if you can find .deb packages for the theme you want. If you have already made a .deb from an rpm,
    dpkg -i (name of your .deb package including path)

    configure-make-make install is for if you are compiling from source.You can do it that way but install from a .deb package with dpkg if at all possible, it's much easier.

    Have you tried looking for themes at http://www.kde-look.org/. If you find one you like, then google for a deb. If no deb, convert an rpm or compile from source.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    5

    exelent...

    People, thanks, it is working and looking great!!!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    Okay

    Hey El Santo isn't this MY post???? Just kidding, anyway, I'm on my way to try what you all have given me now. Thanks. Will post later w/ more info.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    Installed, but....

    I have successfully installed the theme, but now how do I find it to apply it to my desktop. I go to the control center,and window decorations, but it is not in the list of themes. El Santo, could u tell me what u did step by step?
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    HELLLLLLP!

    Could someone please help?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: HELLLLLLP!

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    Could someone please help?
    What theme did you install & how did you do it? I will try to duplicate your install to see where the problem is.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    Here you are.

    This is the Window Decoration that I would like to install: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13997 . But I also downloaded an application from KDE-apps.org that is a "theme manager" for KDE 3.2 and up. Here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9838 I would like to install this Window Decoration, but I have no clue how. I converted it to an .deb package with alien, "installed" it with the code
    Code:
    dpkg -i [the file name]
    , but it's not showing up in the Window Decorations list. And THERE IS NO LOOK 'N FEEL SECTION OF KDE 3.2! Pertaining to the standalone "thememanager" I downloaded it, and compiled it, but I can't run the application. I would PLEASe like some help with these. If you can't answer both, please answer at least the one you know! :P THANKYOU!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Here you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    This is the Window Decoration that I would like to install: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13997 . But I also downloaded an application from KDE-apps.org that is a "theme manager" for KDE 3.2 and up. Here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9838 I would like to install this Window Decoration, but I have no clue how. I converted it to an .deb package with alien, "installed" it with the code
    Code:
    dpkg -i [the file name]
    , but it's not showing up in the Window Decorations list. And THERE IS NO LOOK 'N FEEL SECTION OF KDE 3.2! Pertaining to the standalone "thememanager" I downloaded it, and compiled it, but I can't run the application. I would PLEASe like some help with these. If you can't answer both, please answer at least the one you know! :P THANKYOU!
    Well, I got part way there. The info on the 'theme manager' indicated that it was to become part of kdebase, so 'apt-get -t unstable install kdebase' upgraded kde to the latest version and the theme manager is now in Control Center.

    But it doesn't do much. It will install 'theme files' if you can find one. The file search filter is set to 'theme files' I don't know what it is looking for, my system appears not to have any. And of course there is no help file.

    It has a 'get new themes' which is just a link to kde-look.org, so I tried to install a theme from kde.look.org using 'lipstick 0.7' as a trial. Unfortunately it wouldn't compile, first complaining thet 'the newly creaed file is older than the downloaded file, check your system clock' (my clock is correct). When forced it refused to configure, 'no KDE headers found'.

    I successfully alien'ed your kwin-crystal & installed it using dpkg but it doesn't show up in the theme manager, possibly it is not a complete 'theme' . Also, it put its files in /opt/ which is where SuSe puts KDE, not in /usr/kde3 like Debian so the system can't find them.

    The theme manager does appear to have tools to /create your own theme, so perhaps you can select a wallpaper, an icon set, set some colors, etc & bundle them together to create your own theme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gtk2 Themes
    By Kowood in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
  2. Installing Themes
    By Cronos55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:46 AM
  3. Installing KDE 3.2.3 THEMES!!!
    By mimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 03:16 AM
  4. gtk themes?
    By slc in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM
  5. Themes Manager Slows Down HD Install/Bug?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module picture

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module

$649.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G 2 Port Network Exp Module for 3850 picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G 2 Port Network Exp Module for 3850

$16.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99