Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HDD Install (The Immaculate Perception)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1

    HDD Install (The Immaculate Perception)

    All right guys.I have had knoppix on the hdd as a stand-alone os for two weeks now.The difference on my computer maintnence and reliability is completely amazing.I am currently running version 3.3,but am downloading 3.6 as i type.Using the live disk to rescue crashed windows systems has also given me the chance to convert a few more windows use-to-bes.Keep up the awesome work and thanks for the excellent alternative.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Welcome to Knoppix wonderworld
    Enjoy!

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    That's one of the funniest subject lines I've ever read.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    Hello

    I -just- got an old PC to play around with a few days ago. Got a new monitor for it today. Downloaded a Knoppix live CD and, being completely new to this, was wondering how I would go about installing it on my hard drive. All I want is Knoppix on it, nothing else. So a complete erasure of the hard drive and full installation. Since you apparently have successfully done so, I was hoping to get some fast feedback.

    Please help this newbie out

    Mikal K.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    Oops, forgot something...

    I forgot to mention that I have already burned the Live CD and currently have the PC running off of it. It seems to be running perfectly... and it looks gorgeous! Simple, yet clear, instructions would be wonderful! Or, if there is a website that I am not finding that directs one through this process, a link to that would also work

    Mikal K.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    Nevermind!

    Through a great deal of trial and error, and trial and success, as well as a couple of commands I found on a previous forum, I managed to finally make it into the installer and have successfully reformatted the hard drive in the "ext3" format and have begun installation of Knoppix. Hopefully within the hour I will have a bootable, if not working, Knoppix system.

    Mikal K.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Makaha, Oahu, Hawaii & Pacific NW
    Posts
    1

    EXT3 Partitioning software for win98 ??

    Aloha !

    I downloaded Knoppix V3.6 and trying to get it running from image file BC no cd burner here at present !

    would like to hdd install on it's own partition, but need sw that can install EXT3 partition from win98, i think ??

    Mahalo !

    lb

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Graz - Austria - EU
    Posts
    6
    Well...

    I started with SuSE Linux... My last version was 8.2..... In the end I was realy angry with the SuSE-crap. The Package manager was somehow broken, and there was no practial way to update the system....

    I wanted to have Debian, but I didn't want to spend much time for setting it up. So I tried Knoppix and downloaded 3.6.... The cool thing was that I could play with the settings until everything worked as I wanted - then I made the HDD install what was even more easy than isntalling Windows.

    With the full power oft apt (even if you must eb carefull with the unstable packages) I'm running a nice Linux system now, I realy like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



OWC 32GB DDR4 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933 288-Pin ECC RDIMM RAM picture

OWC 32GB DDR4 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933 288-Pin ECC RDIMM RAM

$200.00



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00



RDIMM MICRON  DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks  5600 RAM picture

RDIMM MICRON DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks 5600 RAM

$449.00



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$175.90



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



[ BULK LOT OF 4] 32GB 2Rx8 PC4 3200AA DDR4 25600 RDIMM ECC Server RAM picture

[ BULK LOT OF 4] 32GB 2Rx8 PC4 3200AA DDR4 25600 RDIMM ECC Server RAM

$750.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM picture

Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM

$79.95