Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Internet connectivity

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    9

    Internet connectivity

    Knoppix from the CD connects to internet no problem.
    Knoppix from HD install won't (can't) connect to internet. I switched from Mandrake because I could not get it to connect to internet either and was told how easy Knoppix is. Please make it so. I'm connected via Linksys router with 3 XP boxes working fine.

    Help please

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Internet connectivity

    Quote Originally Posted by mpeden
    Knoppix from the CD connects to internet no problem.
    Knoppix from HD install won't (can't) connect to internet. I switched from Mandrake because I could not get it to connect to internet either and was told how easy Knoppix is. Please make it so. I'm connected via Linksys router with 3 XP boxes working fine.

    Help please
    If it connects when running from CD it should also be workable under HD install, try the Network card configuration tool under the 'Knoppix->Network/Internet' menu item. What type of install did you do: Debian, Knoppix or beginner style ?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: Internet connectivity

    Quote Originally Posted by mpeden
    Knoppix from the CD connects to internet no problem.
    Knoppix from HD install won't (can't) connect to internet. I switched from Mandrake because I could not get it to connect to internet either and was told how easy Knoppix is. Please make it so. I'm connected via Linksys router with 3 XP boxes working fine.

    Help please
    Actually, Knoppix is known to have some issues with HD installation; indeed it was specifically designed as a live CD, although others have tried to smooth out the HD installation process.

    But if you want a nice and easy HD install from a Live-CD try either Kanotix or MEPIS. These have been recommended on this forum, which is how I discovered them.

    While I have never got Kanotix to work as a live CD it has a solid reputation -- I just have not had the time to chase down what is causing kernel panic at boot. MEPIS I can vouch for. Its excellent.

    It has a painless HD install. I have done it, and if I can, anyone can. I have gotten wireless to work -- its a very similar proceedure to Knoppix. I have even shelled out money, which shows how impressed I am. Not that its expensive -- $US 14.95 + P&P from www.simplymepis.org It also has a fantastic support community at www.mepislovers.com

    While it is a commercial distro; you can get and use it for free from the ususal sources.

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance

Similar Threads

  1. Usb connectivity with kernel26/knoppix 3.7
    By blackbird in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 01:05 AM
  2. Internet Connectivity
    By mpeden in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 12:32 AM
  3. No internet/WAN connectivity; I'm clueless
    By Berserkier in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM
  4. Internet connectivity
    By tkrishna in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:36 AM
  5. Natsemi internet connectivity problem, Guru needed :)
    By unclebulgaria in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99