Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: knoppix 3.4 and ibm thinkpad 600e 400Mhz 128MB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    knoppix 3.4 and ibm thinkpad 600e 400Mhz 128MB

    I really enjoy using knoppix and I prefer having it installed on my HD on my old PC. However I wanna buy an IBM Thinkpad 600e and downgrade myself with hardwares a bit coz it will have only PII 400Mhz and 128MB. Question is:
    1) will knoppix still perform fine?
    2) is it better to upgrade my RAM
    3) 400Mhz enough? I though the CPU isnt really that important but the RAM is.

    I simply wanna use it to do my codings, some office stuff and a bit of easy statistics. Dont wanna run any tough computation - except a bit GRIM FANDANGO game maybe :O).

    I need some advice and comments.

    cheers

    kev

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: knoppix 3.4 and ibm thinkpad 600e 400Mhz 128MB

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin05jan
    I really enjoy using knoppix and I prefer having it installed on my HD on my old PC. However I wanna buy an IBM Thinkpad 600e and downgrade myself with hardwares a bit coz it will have only PII 400Mhz and 128MB. Question is:
    1) will knoppix still perform fine?
    2) is it better to upgrade my RAM
    3) 400Mhz enough? I though the CPU isnt really that important but the RAM is.

    I simply wanna use it to do my codings, some office stuff and a bit of easy statistics. Dont wanna run any tough computation - except a bit GRIM FANDANGO game maybe :O).

    I need some advice and comments.

    cheers

    kev
    I am not sure how Knoppix will perform on your proposed hardware; however, what I can say is that it performs fine on an AMD K6-400 desktop which is fairly similar in power to the PII-400. This desktop has 256Mb of ram and a 32 Mb video card (Rage XL).

    I guess your thoughts of upgrading the RAM is a good one; you can never have too much RAM

    From Klaus Knopper's website the minimum specs for Knoppix are as follows:

    * Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
    * 20 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),
    * bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
    * standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
    * serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

    So it should all work fine ...

    HTH

    Grant D. Vallance

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hi

    I have Knoppix 3.4 installed on a PIII 500 MHz laptop with128 Mb of RAM. It works very well. I think you will not have problems with your hardware

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    More than adequate CPU, but you might want to max out the ram.

    I'm running knoppix on (infact typing this on) a TP600 (P2 300mhz), but I have maxed the ram out to a massive 288MB ;o)

    KDE is a bit heacy for it, but fluxbox flys.
    Some animated web sites cause problems, maxing the CPU, but it's not normally a problem

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have run knoppix on a p1 at 100Mhz with 72Mb ram worked OK with Icewm instead of KDE.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix on IBM Thinkpad 600E

    have been running CD Knoppix 3.4 german, 3.6 german, 3.6 from review "com", Internet via WLAN automatic configuration,
    all worked fine.
    Hans

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Re: knoppix 3.4 and ibm thinkpad 600e 400Mhz 128MB

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin05jan
    I really enjoy using knoppix and I prefer having it installed on my HD on my old PC. However I wanna buy an IBM Thinkpad 600e and downgrade myself with hardwares a bit coz it will have only PII 400Mhz and 128MB. Question is:
    1) will knoppix still perform fine?
    2) is it better to upgrade my RAM
    3) 400Mhz enough? I though the CPU isnt really that important but the RAM is.
    I tried it on a PII 400Mhz PC w/64MB of RAM, a very old SONY Vaio. It was a little tight, but it worked with KDE. My conclusions trying different distributions over the years in terms of memory and CPU speed are:

    1. Memory and swapping are inversely proportional. Since most Knoppix don't have swap partitions, running on 64MB RAM or even 128MB, is awfully tight. You may have to rethink which GUI you use.

    2. Processor matters mostly for graphical rendering for regular users. A good video card will partially compensate for it. GIMP runs much better on my regular desktop (PIII 800Mhz PC w/256MB of RAM and nice video card) than on my notebook (P4 double the speed and double the RAM with a poor video card).

    3. Games are a different animal, you'll need as much hardware as you can get, including video and sound card.

    My $.02

    --GN

Similar Threads

  1. ThinkPad 600e Sound
    By rec9140 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.8.1 kernel panics on ThinkPad 600E
    By rwcitek in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 07:24 PM
  3. Thinkpad 600E Sound Card Configuration
    By iansoutar in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
  4. ATMEL PCMCIA/V3.4-K2.4.x/Thinkpad 600e
    By rec9140 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 11:08 AM
  5. Sound on Thinkpad 600E
    By fred7 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99