-
mplayer
Hello
Is it possible to add mplayer to Knoppix distribution? I think this is the best player nowedays. Adding it to the distribution will extend multimedia capability of Knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Adding it will most probably not possible, because of:
* too much space for mplayer & libraries dependencies needed
* mplayer has no official debian packet
* mplayer is not really "free"
Don't missunderstood me, I'm an mplayer fan, but knoppix is redistributable and shall remain it.
But I'm working on a solution to add mplayer on-the-fly from the internet/directory, while knoppix is running ...
And I for myself have succeeded in doing so ...
cu
Fabian
-
I think Xine works just as well as MPlayer, although its not as pretty. One thing that could be done if there was space would be to include the w32codecs. But that probably wouldn't fit onto the CD.
-
As far as I know mlayer is free. See http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design5/info.html ("License
MPlayer can be distributed under the GPL v2 license. ") If you include only one output plugin (for example oss X11/XV) and libac codecs + ffmpeg (without wincodesc) approximately mplayer take 1 MB space. It dosn't take lots of space even if you include some extra features.
And I don't understand why "no official release for debian" is problem?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can get an unofficial .deb or compile from source on a remaster of knoppix. I think Fabianx also made an install-on-demand-to-ramdisk script.
One way to make more space on the live CD is to remove openoffice 1.0.3 and replace it with openoffice 1.1. That save me about 30mb on the size of my iso, even having added mpalyer and its libs...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
You can get an unofficial .deb or compile from source on a remaster of knoppix. I think Fabianx also made an install-on-demand-to-ramdisk script.
One way to make more space on the live CD is to remove openoffice 1.0.3 and replace it with openoffice 1.1. That save me about 30mb on the size of my iso, even having added mpalyer and its libs...
Wow I didn't realize that there was this much of a difference in size. Hopefully when Klaus updates we will be able to add a lot of other programs to Knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
One way to make more space on the live CD is to remove openoffice 1.0.3 and replace it with openoffice 1.1. That save me about 30mb on the size of my iso, even having added mpalyer and its libs...
Wow I didn't realize that there was this much of a difference in size. Hopefully when Klaus updates we will be able to add a lot of other programs to Knoppix.
I guess because this OOo 1.1 install is not dual-language like the one from vanilla Knoppix...
True?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Henk Poley
I guess because this OOo 1.1 install is not dual-language like the one from vanilla Knoppix...
True?
Good point. That may explain it.
-
If you are remastering Knoppix you can add mplayer by adding the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.lst
# mplayer
deb http://marilant.free.fr/ testing main
then perform an apt-get update
then perform
apt-cache search mplayer
This will list mplayer components that are available for install. Then you can apt-get install[/b/ them.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By markleong in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 05:18 AM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-07-2004, 05:18 PM
-
By pc3 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-20-2004, 11:04 PM
-
By felixj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
-
By BlueIce in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99