Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to view files on a mac floppy disk?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    How to view files on a mac floppy disk?

    I have two mac floppy disk from when I was in high school. I remember I have some files on the floppies that could come in hand now for my college paper that I am writing. I was wondering if I could use Knoppix 3.6 to view and get these files to a windows floppy.

    If this is possible, how can this be done?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I am a long time mac user and have not been successful with this myself.
    You need to enable hfs read and write in the linux filesystem. There are modules to do this but although I have them and can modprobe them I stll can't read an hfs filesystem.
    However the procedure to install hfs support is; apt-get install hfsplus and apt-get install hfsutils. ( I have also read that hfs support is built into the later kernels i.e since 2.4. anyway, but if that's true how does one mount the filesystem?) Then you need, I think, to create a seperate floppy device & fstab entry for the hfs floppy.
    Let me know how you make out with this perhaps someone else can help too-or if someone can point out what I'm doing wrong-GREAT!
    I think there are not that many mac users who also use x86 linux. So it seems, to me, there has never been much interest in the mac platform here.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    I'm using Kanotix (a Knoppix variant), and the "hfsutils" package is already installed. Dunno about Knoppix.

    To mount an HFS-formatted floppy:
    $ hmount /dev/fd0

    (Guess what the command is to unmount it?)

    To get a directory listing of the floppy you just "mounted" (actually, it's not mounted in the traditional sense; you access it with these "h" commands):
    $ hls
    $ hls -la

    Other useful commands: (You can probably guess what they do)
    hcopy
    hdel
    hformat
    hcd


    See the man page for "hfsutils" for more information.

    AFAIK they have to be 1.44M disks. IIRC the Mac floppy drives that read and wrote 720K floppies was not compatible with PC floppy drives.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    The "h" commands are very interesting. I can mount a hfs cd using it BUT I can't view or list it.
    The hls command and other don't seem to work right for my cd.

    root@ixan:/home/jon# hmount /dev/scd0
    /dev/scd0: contains 1 HFS partition
    Volume name is "iPhoto Library" (locked)
    Volume was created on Wed Dec 31 19:56:08 1969
    Volume was last modified on Wed Dec 31 19:56:08 1969
    Volume has 0 bytes free
    root@ixan:/home/jon# hls /dev/scd0
    hls: "/dev/scd0": no such file or directory

    Thanks though I've gotten farther than I had before. I do think that I'll end up copying the files I want in an older mac to dos formatted floppies and then reading them in linux.

Similar Threads

  1. writing floppy disk images to the floppy
    By linuxman in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 11:47 PM
  2. Saving Files to floppy disk
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
  3. Is it possible to view MSW hidden files on GNU?
    By Zerro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 08:04 PM
  4. Saving config files to floppy disk
    By Leslie Simon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 01:38 PM
  5. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco/Meraki MA-SFP-10GB-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver 850nm LC MMF picture

Cisco/Meraki MA-SFP-10GB-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver 850nm LC MMF

$50.00



Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module picture

Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module

$105.00



Lot of 2 For Cisco SFP-10G-X Transceiver, 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T 30m picture

Lot of 2 For Cisco SFP-10G-X Transceiver, 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T 30m

$73.99