Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: debian is way ahead

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    debian is way ahead

    I have the need to try out a fedora core(to install sybase ASE) and have a chance to play with its package management system(both apt and yum), there is no comparison. It is slow, it is fragile(the dependency stuff) and searching for packages is a mess.

    No wonder there are so many debian based distro as being a commuity based development, there is an implicit requirement that a debian package must sort out all kinds of weird way it may be installed.

    Will try out gentoo soon and see how it scores.

    BTW, anyone with a need to dual boot windows/linux should really give colinux a try. It is a perfect VM engine for linux if you must run windows. I have fedora 1, woody, sarge all running at the same time under XP. A great way to test out various flavor of *nix. The limitations are that don't expect games to run and it cannot access any hardware except network and HD.

    One of the creative use of it is to have the powerful firewall of linux running under XP, if you don't have a dedicated router/firewall.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80

    Re: debian is way ahead

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Will try out gentoo soon and see how it scores.
    And I bet you won't leave it garyng..

    ..for me, half the fun is with the forum - never had so many laughs
    and Portage is a package installers dream!

    But, put aside ample time to read the handbook(s) thoroughly.

    Enjoy


    Development-sources kernel 2.6.10-rc2
    KDE 3.3.1, Nvidia 1.0.6629, Udev-045, etc

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Doesn't gentoo mean you have to compile most packages yourself? For me, compiling usually means:
    - getting errors about unmet -dev dependencies (cryptic)
    - downloading tons of -dev packages (no flatrate!)
    - waiting for hours
    - seeing cryptic messages
    Or isn't that the case with gentoo?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Agree with probono.
    I've tried Gentoo before, and didn't suit me....I guess I don't have enough patience to wait for anything to compile everytime I want to install programs.
    It's a good distro if you have enough time on your hands.


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I've been trying out Yoper the past few days after hearing a few people sing its praises...no real need to, just got bored. :P It's rpm-based, but they have a ported version of apt. It's great as long as all the programs you want are in their repositories (doubtful), but once you want something else you hit dependency problems. I quickly realized that I can't live without dpkg.

    I've thought about trying Gentoo too...again, just for the heck of it if I get bored. I don't really see me ever leaving debian-based distros anytime soon.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    I've been trying out Yoper the past few days after hearing a few people sing its praises...no real need to, just got bored. :P It's rpm-based, but they have a ported version of apt. It's great as long as all the programs you want are in their repositories (doubtful), but once you want something else you hit dependency problems. I quickly realized that I can't live without dpkg.

    I've thought about trying Gentoo too...again, just for the heck of it if I get bored. I don't really see me ever leaving debian-based distros anytime soon.
    Even if everything is in their repository, the dependency rules obviously is not as well polished as debian. I tried to install it one way and it didn't work. Install it another way, it worked. This never happens to me on debian(may be unstable/testing but not stable branch).

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Haven't used gentoo myself but a friend likes it. Last time he installed he spent > 2 days compiling basically the base system.
    Here and on kanotix people seem to complain when the install isn't over in 10 minutes flat
    The main reason why he prefers gentoo is that when you compile everything specifically for your hardware you get a fast system.
    I seriously doubt if I'm ever going to stray far from a debian based distro. Well, ever and ever, who knows what we'll use in 10 years.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Right, the binaries are made specialy for your system.

    But I don't mind a slightly slower peice of software if I can get it on apt-get.

    Of course sometimes you have to compile, good thing is knoppix has alot of the most used and libaries so you can usually compile without any real problems.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Even if everything is in their repository, the dependency rules obviously is not as well polished as debian. I tried to install it one way and it didn't work. Install it another way, it worked. This never happens to me on debian(may be unstable/testing but not stable branch).
    Are you talking about Yoper? It won't seem to install grub correctly...which sucks. Otherwise the installer seemed fine. Most of the packages in their repositories install ok...but you're right, there are still issues with a few of them. And without dpkg you can't fix it even if it's just needing to overwrite a file or something.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Even if everything is in their repository, the dependency rules obviously is not as well polished as debian. I tried to install it one way and it didn't work. Install it another way, it worked. This never happens to me on debian(may be unstable/testing but not stable branch).
    Are you talking about Yoper? It won't seem to install grub correctly...which sucks. Otherwise the installer seemed fine. Most of the packages in their repositories install ok...but you're right, there are still issues with a few of them. And without dpkg you can't fix it even if it's just needing to overwrite a file or something.
    I only have yum and apt-get on fedora 1. In fact, yum seems to be ok, but apt-get(for the rpm) has problems.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Debian CD
    By kepler in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:51 PM
  2. knoppix -> debian-like -> debian
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
  4. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  5. #debian
    By god in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99