-

Originally Posted by
shah
Agree with probono.
I've tried Gentoo before, and didn't suit me....I guess I don't have enough patience to wait for anything to compile everytime I want to install programs.
It's a good distro if you have enough time on your hands.

I guess in the long run its a matter of which distro you feel most comfortable and confident with. What you can "get your head around" and learn most from, if thats your goal.
In addition to Gentoo, I run Knoppix/Debian and Suse 9.1 on harddisk, and have played with numerous LiveCDs.
They each have a different feel, the forums too - some distros are just that much easier to update to 'cutting edge' than others.
"Cryptic messages and dependency problems", show me a distro that doesn't have those.. 
As for waiting around while new packages download & compile in the background.. its not as tho' you can't do other things at the same time - on your system - but it certainly helps to have a reasonably powerful PC, and enabling 'ccache' speeds things up a bit too.
Btw, those who prefer a quick install are able to install using Stage 3, and can install a number of packages from a binary Packages CD.
Please don't think I'm knocking Debian here. I just like to encourage others to 'taste a good wine' 
mvh
Similar Threads
-
By kepler in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:51 PM
-
By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
-
By trivas7 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By datakid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
-
By god in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00