Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Install on external HDD by Firewire (IEEE1394)?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    Install on external HDD by Firewire (IEEE1394)?

    is there any problem to install knoppix on my external HDD (via firewire)
    (of course I can detect this HDD using knoppix live CD)

    Should I boot with LILO or a floppy? (my floppy drive is on usb :laptop)

    a last thing I can use my knoppix live CD only if I prompt at the boot knoppix noscsi (any importance?)

    thanks for giving some tips

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6

    try poor man's or pivot root install

    If your external hard drive is connected via a built-in firewire port on your laptop (not a firewire PCMCIA card), then you can try the Poor Man's Install, which is basically just like running off the CD except you can use Klik to install certain software:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall

    Otherwise, you can have a full system that lets you install whatever you want and update the system yourself by doing a Pivot Root Install, although it is still clunky (you have to type some commands each time you boot up):
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PivotRootInstall
    (this would require creating Linux partitions on your external drive)

    Otherwise to do a regular hard drive install, you would need to free up some space on your internal hard drive so you can create a bootable partition to install to.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    thanks for answering,
    I think I gonna try the pivot root install (even if it looks quite difficult for my skills....)
    In a few days I tell you if it had worked...

    (the version of knoopix that I gonna install is "KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN")

    Thanks a lot

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    I also found this:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...lnxw16FireBoot

    Let's try all this...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    Hi,

    just a short answer to say that the pivot install worked perfectly.

    I even put the short shell on a floppy and by this way I don't have to prompt all the stuff.

    Great, now i gonna discover the world of linux. (i have to manage some few problems of mounting the floppy and CD drive but I think that, by editing, the fstab I gonna manage to solve this little problems...)

    Thanks a lot for everything.

    Remhigh

Similar Threads

  1. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:07 AM
  2. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:59 AM
  3. Firewire external HDD
    By Guy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 07:46 PM
  4. recognising and mounting external ieee1394 DVD writer
    By ccleung in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 03:27 PM
  5. FireWire (ieee1394) problem using the last 24/09/2003 CD
    By mikekgr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$149.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH

$225.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99