Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix on Mac OS X?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix on Mac OS X?

    I am running the latest version of Panther 10.3.6 and am very curious about Linux/Knoppix and simply want to know if I can boot from the Knoppix boot CD under OS X? I don't want to use the Virtual PC Emulator, can I do it otherwise? If so, please show me the way, oh great Jedi.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I was going to recommend you Virtual PC. Besides that, there is qemu - but I hadn't much success on a Mac and Knoppix with it.

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    There is a version of knoppix for ppc. It may or may not work depending on your hardware.

    Go here: ftp://ftp.crihan.fr/mirrors/knoppix-mib.org/ for the iso.

    Good luck there is no installer and it isn't as full featured as x86 knoppix.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Hardware..

    I'm on a PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz 1 GB RAM if that helps in you knowing the compatibility. Basically it's the latest PowerBook with the latest OS..

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    http://homepage.mac.com/bner/iblog/B...3/E1995539341/

    Check out the above link. I had a 14" ibook but was never able to get linux working on it. In fact I sold the ibook because I was fed up with trying and failing. I have run debian on a old world mac.

    In my opinion linux ppc support is about 4-5 years behind x86.

    I'm not sure what you want knoppix for on your powerbook but if you are looking for open source software for the mac you might look at setting up fink (do a google on it).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00