Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Remastering a Boot CD to do a bit stream back up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Odessa, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3

    Remastering a Boot CD to do a bit stream back up

    As most of you if soon figure out, I am a newbie. I am trying to figure out a way to remaster a bootable CD that will automatically boot and do a complete bit stream back up of the primary HD (NTFS) to an USB external HD. I have about 80 Win2K workstations that I have to do a monthly back up and money is tight. Probally just need to figure out how to do the dd command. Any help greatly apprecated. Thanks, Jeff

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You can use the Remastering HOWTO in the Knoppix.net documentation. Or if you don't want to get into the "dirty details" of the entire remastering process then I would suggest that you try this HOWTO that I wrote. It uses a menu that wraps around the copying, chroot & mkisofs commands so that you do not have to type long complicated commands. I did not write the menu script, only the the HOWTO. Here is the URL http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867.

    As for the backup process, the dd command sounds right. You should be able to create a script that mounts the source hd, mounts the destination hd, and then performs a dd command to back it up. I would store that script (mybackup) in /etc/init.d/. Then I would create a link to that script in runlevel 5.
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/mybackup /etc/rc5.d/S80mybackup
    That script would be executed right before Knoppix starts up KDE. If you want to start the backup script after KDE starts up you will probably have to edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script as it controls how & when KDE is loaded.

    If instead you want to force Knoppix to the command line by default, then take a look at isolinux.cfg at (KnoppixCD-Root)/boot/isolinux/. That file controls how the Knoppix bootup profiles.
    (This example is from Knoppix 3.6)
    Edit that file with a text editor and see the following:
    Code:
    1:   DEFAULT linux24
    2:   APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    I am not absolutley positive, but you will need to insert your cheatcode 2 in line #2 so that it will boot into runlevel 2 for the command prompt.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Odessa, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, John for the fast response and the points I will give it a shot. Jeff

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Odessa, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3
    James, Just noticed that I addressed you as John. I applogize stupid mistake while doing three conversations at once. Thanks again for the advice. Jeff

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by jowens
    James, Just noticed that I addressed you as John. I applogize stupid mistake while doing three conversations at once. Thanks again for the advice. Jeff
    Hey, thats no problem at all. If you could, please keep us in the loop in regards to your progress.
    Thanks,
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Speed Stream DSL modem
    By rrfish72 in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 12:22 AM
  2. Back up boot floppy?
    By spangeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
  3. stream,xmms & proxy
    By Kreator in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM
  4. Sound for Flash and Quicktime Stream Position?
    By jasedit in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99