Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: monitor 0.2 - Creating those sort-lists ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    monitor 0.2 - Creating those sort-lists ...

    Hi,

    you might have heard of using sort lists to optimize the speed of a LIVE CD.

    (Use mkisofs -sort)

    But always there was the question:

    How can you create those sort-lists.

    Klaus answer was always:

    - Install to HD, boot from HD and use Knoppix.mksortlist to create mkisofs.sort.

    But many of us used just the chroot method to do a quick remaster.

    So we could not use the sortlist-feature ...

    To avoid this issue, I have created a kernel module, which automatically monitors each file access together with the corresponding time.

    So you can now create a CD, boot it once (for example with bootfrom=/dev/hdaX/*.iso) and then speed-optimize it by creating the ISO-file again and burn and be happy .

    Well I dunno if you have a use for it.

    I just thought, I share my work .

    For more info see here:

    http://www.linuxtag.org/wws/arc/debi.../msg00055.html

    To get the monitor module go to:

    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/exper...tor-0.2.tar.gz

    Usage is explained in above post.

    cu

    Fabian

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Looking Glass
    Posts
    22
    Odd that nobody responded to this, it sounds neat, but how come it takes over the kernel log? I think it'd be better if it didn't but thats no matter. In your mailing list posts you mention how to use it manually, but would adding it to the minirt24.gz root and starting it up inside that stuff be more useful? Is it even possible? I'm guessing just add this to linuxrc
    Code:
    cat /proc/kmsg > /ramdisk/accesslist.log &
    echo $! > /ramdisk/cat.pid
    modprobe monitor
    also is this for 2.4 or 2.6 or both?

    doing lots of pondering on the sorting of files right now and first access is better than latest access (also I'd need to make a partition for the express purpose of not having noatime in fstab and then hack the initrd to mount it and other stupid details) so I'll probably be giving this a shot in the next few days

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    From the mailing list:
    Hi, the builtit.sh was made for 2.4.x I think that is the problem.

    I'll look into it as soon as I find the time.

    Sorry, I'm stillu sing 2.4.x and forogt about 2.6.x ...

    cu

    Fabian

Similar Threads

  1. Reading Package Lists... Error!
    By morbidpalooza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
  2. LOST - /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian-non-US_di
    By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 02:13 AM
  3. USB booting, sort of
    By thestevo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 08:41 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.7 is out ... sort of
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 08:45 PM
  5. HD Remaster sort
    By mikeUK in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 01:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver picture

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver

$299.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



PCI to 4 Ports SATA Controller RAID CARD Pci sata Sil3114 Supports 3TBx4 HDD picture

PCI to 4 Ports SATA Controller RAID CARD Pci sata Sil3114 Supports 3TBx4 HDD

$18.90