Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Idea for a better KDE menu

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    35

    Idea for a better KDE menu

    I've found a very interesting idea for a better KDE menu:

    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...d&tan=50774770

    I think this would be cool to be implemented because Knoppix *really* needs a better and clearer menu!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Refused :-)

    Hi,

    the idea to make a better menu is good, but the KDE-Look.org thing is very problematic as its completely tied to slackware and does not even recognise new installed software.

    So first:

    What do you don't like on the current menus?

    We have got a script to rearrange the menus completely to our likeliness. But it must be fully automatic and also take care of new menu entries so that they do not get lost.

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    7
    I just ran accross this old post, but since I have struggled with the menus more than anything else doing a remaster, I would like to reply.

    As great as Knoppix is, the menus are not as clean and organized as I would like. I think they are especially confusing to a novice, often the target audience of Knoppix I would think. I spent a great deal of time and frustration to finally get the menu items organized in a logical (to me at least) way. Like items are grouped together, and most of the command line only apps are removed (we know how to find them and the novices will only be confused). A short description is provided too, since lots of the app names are not self-explanatory.
    An example: all the Internet related menu items are grouped together, with a sub-menu for those that help connect to the Net (via dial-up, DSL, GPRS, etc.)



    I realize part of the problem is the way KDE stores menus, which I have yet to fully comprehend. I am only concerned with KDE here, I haven't even opened the can of worms associated with getting uniform menus accross all the WM's that Knoppix includes!

    With information from the forums here, I am close to getting my remaster the way I want it. I have written some scripts to help me and slightly modified knoppix-remaster script too. Many thanks to Fabian and UnderScore for the great work!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
  2. Kde menu customize - menu item language???
    By maxmartin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 06:19 PM
  3. bad idea?
    By OErjan in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 07:41 AM
  4. idea
    By Schotty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 09:59 PM
  5. i have a idea :)
    By wiak in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99