Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: booting into the command line

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32

    booting into the command line

    How can I set linux up to boot directly into the linux console?
    Like the way slackware does by default.

    Switched to slackware for a few days and loved it but couldnt ween myself from the apt-get program
    Im actually using Kanotix, But im assuming its damn close to knoppix.

    But Slackware is a damn good linux distro I must say

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    If i boot Knoppix 3.6 from CD using the cheat code knoppix 2 then I am dumped into a console session as root in runlevel 2.

    If you have a HD install of Kanotix then it may be booting by default into a runlevel that runs X. Take a look at /etc/inittab as it will not only list the default runlevel but also list function of the other runlevels. Here is a good page on runlevels http://www.telenovela-world.com/~spa...t-HOWTO-6.html.

    I use the command init # to change runlevels. If after booting into the console session & I now want to run a normal KDE session I use init 5. If I want to reboot I use init 6 and if I want to shutdown I use init 0.
    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Command line shells
    By Ikki in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 01:18 AM
  2. Bring up KDE from command line
    By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
  3. command line WOES
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:10 PM
  4. login with GUI/Command Line
    By wilsondk in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 10:04 PM
  5. Hostname on command line
    By Ambrose in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 02:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00