-
booting into the command line
How can I set linux up to boot directly into the linux console?
Like the way slackware does by default.
Switched to slackware for a few days and loved it but couldnt ween myself from the apt-get program
Im actually using Kanotix, But im assuming its damn close to knoppix.
But Slackware is a damn good linux distro I must say
-
Senior Member
registered user
If i boot Knoppix 3.6 from CD using the cheat code knoppix 2 then I am dumped into a console session as root in runlevel 2.
If you have a HD install of Kanotix then it may be booting by default into a runlevel that runs X. Take a look at /etc/inittab as it will not only list the default runlevel but also list function of the other runlevels. Here is a good page on runlevels http://www.telenovela-world.com/~spa...t-HOWTO-6.html.
I use the command init # to change runlevels. If after booting into the console session & I now want to run a normal KDE session I use init 5. If I want to reboot I use init 6 and if I want to shutdown I use init 0.
I hope this helps.
James
Similar Threads
-
By Ikki in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-10-2006, 01:18 AM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:10 PM
-
By wilsondk in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 10:04 PM
-
By Ambrose in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 02:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good
$649.00

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00