I'm not in linux right now, but IIRC using the mouse with 2.6.x kernel you should change in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the psmouse section
dev/psaux to /dev/input/mice
I'm running knoppix 3.4 installed from the linuxtag 3.5 dvd. It is the best!!!!
Mostly I run the 2.4.26 kernel. I notice that if I boot with the 2.6.6 kernel that my scroll wheel (microsoft ps2 mouse) doesn't work-yet it's fine with 2.4. ?? I did a search and in the knoppix FAQ's there was a mention of having modules psmouse and mousedev. I tried to apt-get psmouse but apt-get said "E: Couldn't find package psmouse" Also modprobing returned
FATAL: Module psmouse not found.
john@ixan:~$ modprobe mousedev
FATAL: Module mousedev not found.
It's not that big a deal just wondering if anyone knows what's up on this-Thanks.
I'm not in linux right now, but IIRC using the mouse with 2.6.x kernel you should change in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the psmouse section
dev/psaux to /dev/input/mice
Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Change the protocol for the mouse from 'auto' to 'IMPS/2'.
Thanks I will try the 2nd solution posted. The 1st one did not work and I also was then unable to use the 2.4.26 kernel until I un-edited the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Just a FYI
Well, seems like my memory could be better. This is what I have now for a Logitech Cordless Click Plus:
You should be able to find the protocol with:Code:Section "InputDevice" Identifier "PS/2 Mouse" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" # "4 5" without sidebuttons Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true" Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70" Option "SendCoreEvents" "true" EndSection
markus@fujibox:~$ dmesg|grep PS/2
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
Cordless is different. For a standard PS/2 scrollwheel mouse use:Originally Posted by Markus
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
(default is "Protocol" "auto" which won't recognize scrollwheel.)
Now what did I tell you about my memory
Dug up an old one from the time I still had a tail to my mouse:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection
Whatever happened to /dev/input/mice? I could swear I had to use that when using the early 2.6 kernels.
Thank you both for all the info/help.
I did change the XF86Config-4 to IMPS/2 but nothing happened.
There are two (2) XF86Config-4 files in /etc/X11. I changed the one that had Protocol "auto"
The other XF86Config-4 file had Protocol "PS/2" and I left that alone.
I guess I need to go back and edit that one too.
Why are there two XF86Config-4 files anyway?
Thanks
You can't have 2 files by the same name. If the other has an ~ at the end it's an automatic backup made by your editor. Some scripts for editing the file also make different extensions for the backup file.
Change the one that hasn't got any extra extension at the end.
I had to configure my mousewheel and this is what I had to do:
First I commented out the other two mouse choices then changed the other to fit mine. Saved and rebooted and them scrollwheel worked.
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Serial Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
# Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
# Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
#EndSection
#Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" got replaced with
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
# Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
/dev/input/mice
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "USB Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Device" #"/dev/input/mice"
# Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
# Option "Protocol" #"IMPS/2"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Option "Buttons" "5"
#EndSectionEndSection

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
*LOT OF 4* 32GB SK Hynix HMA84GR7MFR4N-TF DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM PC4-17000 2Rx4
$674.99
SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM
$169.99
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$378.00
LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory
$255.00