Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: No scroll wheel with kernel 2.6.6

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    No scroll wheel with kernel 2.6.6

    I'm running knoppix 3.4 installed from the linuxtag 3.5 dvd. It is the best!!!!
    Mostly I run the 2.4.26 kernel. I notice that if I boot with the 2.6.6 kernel that my scroll wheel (microsoft ps2 mouse) doesn't work-yet it's fine with 2.4. ?? I did a search and in the knoppix FAQ's there was a mention of having modules psmouse and mousedev. I tried to apt-get psmouse but apt-get said "E: Couldn't find package psmouse" Also modprobing returned
    FATAL: Module psmouse not found.
    john@ixan:~$ modprobe mousedev
    FATAL: Module mousedev not found.
    It's not that big a deal just wondering if anyone knows what's up on this-Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I'm not in linux right now, but IIRC using the mouse with 2.6.x kernel you should change in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in the psmouse section
    dev/psaux to /dev/input/mice

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Change the protocol for the mouse from 'auto' to 'IMPS/2'.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Thanks I will try the 2nd solution posted. The 1st one did not work and I also was then unable to use the 2.4.26 kernel until I un-edited the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. Just a FYI

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, seems like my memory could be better. This is what I have now for a Logitech Cordless Click Plus:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
     Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" # "4 5" without sidebuttons
     Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
     Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
     Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
     Option     "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
    EndSection
    You should be able to find the protocol with:
    markus@fujibox:~$ dmesg|grep PS/2
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    input: ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Well, seems like my memory could be better. This is what I have now for a Logitech Cordless Click Plus:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
     Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" # "4 5" without sidebuttons
     Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
     Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
     Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
     Option     "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
    EndSection
    You should be able to find the protocol with:
    markus@fujibox:~$ dmesg|grep PS/2
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    input: ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
    Cordless is different. For a standard PS/2 scrollwheel mouse use:
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

    (default is "Protocol" "auto" which won't recognize scrollwheel.)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Now what did I tell you about my memory

    Dug up an old one from the time I still had a tail to my mouse:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # PS/2
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    EndSection

    Whatever happened to /dev/input/mice? I could swear I had to use that when using the early 2.6 kernels.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Thank you both for all the info/help.

    I did change the XF86Config-4 to IMPS/2 but nothing happened.

    There are two (2) XF86Config-4 files in /etc/X11. I changed the one that had Protocol "auto"

    The other XF86Config-4 file had Protocol "PS/2" and I left that alone.

    I guess I need to go back and edit that one too.

    Why are there two XF86Config-4 files anyway?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can't have 2 files by the same name. If the other has an ~ at the end it's an automatic backup made by your editor. Some scripts for editing the file also make different extensions for the backup file.

    Change the one that hasn't got any extra extension at the end.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I had to configure my mousewheel and this is what I had to do:
    First I commented out the other two mouse choices then changed the other to fit mine. Saved and rebooted and them scrollwheel worked.

    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "Serial Mouse"
    # Driver "mouse"
    # Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    # Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    #EndSection
    #Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" got replaced with
    # Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"

    /dev/input/mice
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    EndSection

    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "USB Mouse"
    # Driver "mouse"
    # Option "Device" #"/dev/input/mice"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    # Option "Protocol" #"IMPS/2"
    # Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    # Option "Buttons" "5"
    #EndSectionEndSection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. textmode (i.e. the startup scroll and /dev/tty1) out of sync
    By ocschwar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 09:19 PM
  2. Kernel 2.6.1 good... but no scroll wheel
    By JMarsh in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 03:33 PM
  3. Mouse wheel not working
    By [email protected] in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 04:35 AM
  4. Wheel mouse
    By my2cents in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2003, 03:30 AM
  5. Scrolling wheel does not work
    By Smitty in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



AddOn IBM 42C1800 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network Interface Card picture

AddOn IBM 42C1800 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network Interface Card

$383.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99