Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: /tmp directory & QTParted.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45

    /tmp directory & QTParted.

    I have been having problems running streams on xmms, opening realplayer on nfl.com etc. The message is that /tmp is full. When I check on /tmp (right click in konqueror) I see that /tmp is 64mb in size. Trying this with other directories shows much larger sizes.

    How can I get around this apparent limitation on /tmp??

    There may be a problem with my partitions. my root / is on hda1, which is set at 2.9GB. Opening QTparted I see I have hda3 at 15GB, but it doesn't appear anything I have is 'mounted' on it. Anotherwords, I dont 'think' that space is being utilized. How can I place /home/me or /tmp on hda3? Also, can I use QTparted to make hda1 much larger?



    Oh, there is no windows on this box, just running Knoppix off the hd.

    Thanks

    Jerry

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    Now I cannot login graphically, except for Root. My other logins, when attempting, go blank, grey, and then back to the login. They aren't incorrect passwords, as I've tried that, and it correctly tells me that login is incorrect.

    What gives??

    Thanks

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I have found an answer to why I couldn't log in as a normal user. My disk was full (hda1). Once I uninstalled via kpackage a bunch of stuff I don't use, I could log in again.

    As far as using hda3 (15GB) for something useful, maybe for mounting my /home directories on, anyone have any ideas? Mess with etc/fstab?

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrewale
    As far as using hda3 (15GB) for something useful, maybe for mounting my /home directories on, anyone have any ideas? Mess with etc/fstab?
    Something along the lines of :

    Code:
    mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda3
    mkdir /tmp/XYZ
    mount /dev/hda3 /tmp/XYZ
    cp -a /home /tmp/XYZ
    add an entry to fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults, auto 0 2
    then settle in your new home :-)
    Code:
    mv /home /home.bkp
    mount /home
    once you've checked this works, you can delete the /home.bkp directory

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I appreciiate the help so far. One more question:

    Code:
    mv /home /home.bkp
    mount /home
    once you've checked this works, you can delete the /home.bkp directory
    I have completed all the steps, but when I
    Code:
    mount /home
    I get the message
    Code:
    home does not exist

    Any more ideas on this?

    Thanks

    Jerry

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, I'm not sure if the extra space between defaults, and auto is significant.
    Try: /dev/hda3 /home ext3 rw,auto,users,exec 0 2
    If you put defaults it includes: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Hmm, I'm not sure if the extra space between defaults, and auto is significant.
    Try: /dev/hda3 /home ext3 rw,auto,users,exec 0 2
    If you put defaults it includes: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async

    I am still having problems, here is my fstab now:

    Code:
    /dev/hda1  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
    /dev/hda3 /home ext3 rw,auto,users,exec 0 2
    proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0
    sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdrw /cdrw iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    Now, here is what I get:


    Code:
    root@box1:/etc# mount /home
    root@box1:/etc# mv /home /home.bkp
    mv: cannot move `/home' to `/home.bkp': Device or resource busy
    root@box1:/etc# umount /home
    root@box1:/etc# mv /home /home.bkp
    root@box1:/etc# mount /home
    mount: mount point /home does not exist
    root@box1:/etc# mv /home.bkp /home
    When I try to backup /home to home.bkp after mounting /home it says the resource is busy, when I try before mounting /home it works, but then I cannot mount /home.

    What am I doing wrong?
    I appreciate the help so far!!

    Thanks

    Jerry

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    There's actually a howto about this: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...PartitionHowTo follow it and you'll be fine.

    You have cuplicate entries in fstab for hda3:
    /dev/hda3 /home ext3 rw,auto,users,exec 0 2
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0 , as this is noauto it shouldn't matter though.

    Code:
    root@box1:/etc# mount /home
    root@box1:/etc# mv /home /home.bkp
    mv: cannot move `/home' to `/home.bkp': Device or resource busy
    root@box1:/etc# umount /home
    root@box1:/etc# mv /home /home.bkp
    root@box1:/etc# mount /home
    mount: mount point /home does not exist
    root@box1:/etc# mv /home.bkp /home
    Take it easy with mv until you have home copied somewhere:
    sudo mkdir /home.bkp
    cd /home
    sudo cd -Rp * /home.bkp/
    EDITops, cd should of course be cp

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrewale
    I have completed all the steps, but when I mount /home I get the message
    Code:
    home does not exist
    Yeah, sorry after renaming the original /home; you need to recreate a mount point for the partition: "mkdir /home", then mount.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I have followed Markus recommendations and the howto at : http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...PartitionHowTo but to no avail.
    hda3 does have /home on it when I'm done, including copies of my /home directories, BUT upon reboot, and trying to login to KDE the screen just goes blue, and then I get error messages about not finding DCOP. The only way out is to boot into safemode, and comment out the new line I added to fstab. Here is is for review:

    Code:
    /dev/hda1  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
    #/dev/hda3 /home auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0
    proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0
    sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdrw /cdrw iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    Of course, I commented out /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3, and uncomment /dev/hda3 /home...

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks for the help so far baldyeti and Markus.

    Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. QTPARTED v0.4.4
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 06:14 PM
  2. Qtparted
    By ClubMed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 02:05 PM
  3. Logon to active directory or NT directory ......
    By ktheking in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
  4. add Qtparted
    By Massimo in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:59 PM
  5. QTparted
    By eadz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual picture

Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual

$75.00



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD picture

Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD

$49.97