-
Two Problems: eth0 down and dhcp to static IP switch
Hey all -
I'm brand new to Knoppix, but am relatively familiar with RedHat/Fedora. I have a Knoppix box running v4.0.2 (2.6.12 kernel). It's been running fine for several days, but this morning my eth0 device doesn't appear to be coming up. At least, it doesn't appear when I run ifconfig. I've tried "ifconfig eth0 up" with no luck. Of course, I've also tried "init 6" and restarting after a lengthier shutdown. No luck there either. When I boot up, I see a message that eth0 was detected and that the DHCP request is being sent to the background, but I never see any indication that an IP address was supplied.
My first thought, then, is that my machine has just stopped getting a response from the DHCP server and if that's all it is then there's no problem. I really want this machine to have a static IP.
So now to my questions:
1. Is there a problem with eth0 or is it my dhcp server simply no replying to my request for an ip address?
2. Since I want a static IP anyway, how can I change this from a DHCP client to a static ip?
Thanks very much for any help.
Similar Threads
-
By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-28-2005, 01:25 AM
-
By masticate in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
-
By tomson in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-01-2005, 04:01 PM
-
By fabry6210 in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By LTCM in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30