Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How can I input Chinese in KDE ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    How can I input Chinese in KDE ?

    I can view chinese oriented web page without any problem but don't know how to enter Chinese in the web page(or other X applicatons). I google about it and it seems that there must be some input server installed and running. Are they included in KNOPPIX and if yes, how to enable them ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Since I don't know the first thing about the Chinese language)it's all Greek to me) and I'm unsure what "input Chinese" means I can only suggest that you change the keyboard layout. If you are wanting to use the standard keyboard layout and automagically have your entered text converted to Chinese then I must apologize because I haven't the slightest idea. That would be a very interesting program to see/use. That would certainly be some sort of interpretation program - yes? Let us know if you find anything.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Hehe, I don't know either, but...

    I googled for 'chinese linux', and this brought me to some sites which I can't read since they are chinese (dûh ). But one of them said "knoppix" in what I think is the news items. So take a look there:

    China Linux Forum

    AFAIK Linux is used quite frequently in China. So I guess they have found easy ways to enter chinese

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I have briefly looked at the INIT script and it seems that Chinese input server is included in the 3.2 distribution. Now my problem would be, how to switch keyboard layout(as well as activating the input server) on the fly.

    In XP(I know I know, shouldn't mention M$), I have a small little icon on the task bar at the bottom which I can switch to whatever language which will change the keyboard layout and activate the input server.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You have the ability to change the keyboard layout in the system tray (of KDE) you will see the flag of country for the keyboard layout in use, you just have to configure the layouts you want to use and a simple mouse click allows you to change between them on the fly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    thanks, I can see the nation flag which allows me to switch between a number of western language keyboards(us, de, fr) but none for the Chinese input, even if I specify the correct lang=cn parameter on the boot prompt.

    More google time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    A quick search on Debian packages comes up with this, looks like it's just for the console though.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Found another page on the Debian website while looking for something else there is a section (9.7) on localization near the bottom of the page.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
  2. Input/Output Errors?
    By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:29 AM
  3. Chinese input
    By markleong in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. input Devices not Working!!!
    By Arishon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 12:59 AM
  5. howto add chinese input for knoppix?
    By babo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 02:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00