Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: /etc/fstab ???

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45

    /etc/fstab ???

    I have 18GB box didicated only to linux. No windows.

    I have a partition on my harddisk that is mounted, hda3, but is not utilized by linux for any file structure. A 2.9GB partition is mounted as /, and everything in my linux system is there, literally filling it up.
    (I thought I set it up for /home, but I guess not...)


    How can I mount, say, /home under the hda3? Do I have to muck with /etc/fstab? That seems logical, but I wanted to get some input as to what is the best way to go about using this 'dead' space.

    Jerry

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Yes you need to change the fstab.

    Its not hard though.

    Make sure only root is logged in,
    Copy your /home directory to the drive,
    unmount,
    then open up fstab change the mount point of /dev/hda3 to /home
    reboot and that should do it.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem when moving New Fstab to the Old Fstab to fix Suse
    By cheetahman in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  2. fstab
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 05:51 PM
  3. fstab
    By rrfish72 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. help me fix my fstab
    By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 04:48 AM
  5. etc/fstab: what should be in it?
    By digiSal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99