I'm new also. I downloaded the knoppix image, burned my cd and gave it a whirl. It works great, love it, and when my wife wants on windoze works fine (for windows).![]()
I'm a major newbie at Linux, and I am wondering if I can use my boot CD of Knoppix as a sort-of demo even with windows installed. What im aking is if I can boot knoppix from my cd and be assured that when I take it out MS windows will start up correctly. Ive got a brother who will kill me if anything happens to Windows.
I'm new also. I downloaded the knoppix image, burned my cd and gave it a whirl. It works great, love it, and when my wife wants on windoze works fine (for windows).![]()
have had some weird things happen (all caused by me, not knoppix) but only heard of 3 reported problems with win after knoppix.
those where maximum bad luck, as long as you do not mount or write to disk there should be no trouble. i have used it on LOTS of systems and no malfunction this far.
Basicly, yes your safe.
Also, you're safe.
sure you can.
it will even be hard to change anything on your windows if you ware
running the live cd.
There is absulutely no risk, if you don't install it. And even if you do,
it works fine on my PC with both knoppix and windows.
of course you can. You just need to stick Knoppix in your CD drive and boot off that disk. Knoppix will load itself into memory without even touching your disks. You even will be able to see your brother's disk contents. As long as you do not change the so-called "permissions" (make the disks not only readable, but writable also) there is no risk whatsoever for your brother's stuff.
Get the book Knoppix Hacks - its worth every penny and it explains it all very well. You sould also take a look at the beginner's documentation on this site.
Enjoy!

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
X4TTX Dell PERC H730P SATA/SAS PCIe RAID Controller 0X4TTX
$42.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00