I'm new also. I downloaded the knoppix image, burned my cd and gave it a whirl. It works great, love it, and when my wife wants on windoze works fine (for windows).![]()
I'm a major newbie at Linux, and I am wondering if I can use my boot CD of Knoppix as a sort-of demo even with windows installed. What im aking is if I can boot knoppix from my cd and be assured that when I take it out MS windows will start up correctly. Ive got a brother who will kill me if anything happens to Windows.
I'm new also. I downloaded the knoppix image, burned my cd and gave it a whirl. It works great, love it, and when my wife wants on windoze works fine (for windows).![]()
have had some weird things happen (all caused by me, not knoppix) but only heard of 3 reported problems with win after knoppix.
those where maximum bad luck, as long as you do not mount or write to disk there should be no trouble. i have used it on LOTS of systems and no malfunction this far.
Basicly, yes your safe.
Also, you're safe.
sure you can.
it will even be hard to change anything on your windows if you ware
running the live cd.
There is absulutely no risk, if you don't install it. And even if you do,
it works fine on my PC with both knoppix and windows.
of course you can. You just need to stick Knoppix in your CD drive and boot off that disk. Knoppix will load itself into memory without even touching your disks. You even will be able to see your brother's disk contents. As long as you do not change the so-called "permissions" (make the disks not only readable, but writable also) there is no risk whatsoever for your brother's stuff.
Get the book Knoppix Hacks - its worth every penny and it explains it all very well. You sould also take a look at the beginner's documentation on this site.
Enjoy!

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00
HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99
Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99
Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES Desktop CPU
$109.99
GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95